PDA

View Full Version : Pets and Allergies

NewMommy
08-03-2011, 05:44 PM
Okay, so my little one has been asking her Daddy and I if she could have a pet. We agree that it would be a fun thing for her, and would serve to teach her responsibility. Problem is that Daddy is allergic to pet hair. Any suggestions on fun pets that won't make my husband sneeze himself silly?

NewMommy
08-05-2011, 03:25 PM
??????

Lady TS
08-05-2011, 04:06 PM
I'm not sure how old your dd is.

I had gerbils from when I was about 5 or 6 years old until about 12 or so. They were kept in an aquarium with a heavy wire top...and we used pine shavings as litter.

Or....maybe a parakeet (or two if she won't be interracting much--they appreciate a buddy). Though they are a bit more messy--seeds and feathers fly out of the cage.

I would not get a guinea pig. I have had cat allergies, and the guinea pigs we had definitely bothered me...plus they are more work/mess...though they are also quite entertaining.

arelyn
08-05-2011, 04:07 PM
There are certain types of dogs who have hair instead of fur. Our old neighbors had allergies and had a Potugese Water Dog who didn't bother them. They are very high energy dogs though so keep that in mind.

LovinBeingMommy
08-05-2011, 04:11 PM
Poodles are also supposed to be great for people with allergies. There's also hairless breeds of both dogs and cats. My brother really wants a sphinx cat. I think they look funny! :giggle

mamaKristin
08-05-2011, 04:37 PM
Given the allergies in our family, my older DD got a fish for her last birthday.

NewMommy
08-05-2011, 05:43 PM
I'm not sure how old your dd is.

I had gerbils from when I was about 5 or 6 years old until about 12 or so. They were kept in an aquarium with a heavy wire top...and we used pine shavings as litter.

Or....maybe a parakeet (or two if she won't be interracting much--they appreciate a buddy). Though they are a bit more messy--seeds and feathers fly out of the cage.

I would not get a guinea pig. I have had cat allergies, and the guinea pigs we had definitely bothered me...plus they are more work/mess...though they are also quite entertaining.
She's six. Parakeets might not be a bad idea. As long as they know how to shut up at night.

---------- Post added at 04:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

Poodles are also supposed to be great for people with allergies. There's also hairless breeds of both dogs and cats. My brother really wants a sphinx cat. I think they look funny! :giggle
We'll look into the poodle thing. Might not be a bad way to go. I agree that sphinx cats look kind of silly. I guess God got bored when He was creating animals and decided to show off His sense of humor. :giggle

Ethereal
08-05-2011, 06:33 PM
Your DH may be allergic to bird dander as well, it's pretty potent. I cannot bear to see birds in cages coped up in houses......poor things, they deserve better. Though I am aware many bird enthusiasts keep their birds in huge avaries and give them a good life. Be aware of the big mess they make and the screeching....well.....it has me running for cover.

There is no such thing as a hypoallergenic dog or cat, that is a myth and perpetuated by morons who cash in on it by breeding and promoting "hypoallergenic" pets. It is the dander and saliva that people are usually allergic to, I've heard of many people being as allergic to poodles as to any other dog, and other people do great with poodles. I am allergic to some cats but not others, it is all down to how your body make-up reacts to an animal's genetic make-up.

If you get a dog, do much research and be 1000% sure you are up for all the work and commitment it involves if you've not had before.

BTW, I'd love a Sphynx cat. it's spelt "Sphynx" NOT "Sphinx."

Heather Micaela
08-05-2011, 06:38 PM
If you have the yard, a desert tortoise is an awesome pet. They are actualy pretty affectionate for an animal you cannot snuggle. And they are fairly easy to care for. All greens, no bugs, dry poop that is easy to pick up and clean. And half the year you put em in a box and forget about em :giggle

The down side is that they live as long as humans, so they pretty much have this pet for LIFE or know their kids will inherit or re-home it.

I have a tortise. It is currently my mom's. but it is mine in the long run. She is very sweet.

NewMommy
08-05-2011, 06:51 PM
If you have the yard, a desert tortoise is an awesome pet. They are actualy pretty affectionate for an animal you cannot snuggle. And they are fairly easy to care for. All greens, no bugs, dry poop that is easy to pick up and clean. And half the year you put em in a box and forget about em :giggle

The down side is that they live as long as humans, so they pretty much have this pet for LIFE or know their kids will inherit or re-home it.

I have a tortise. It is currently my mom's. but it is mine in the long run. She is very sweet.
Some kind of turtle or tortoise might be fun. Thanks.

Heather Micaela
08-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Some kind of turtle or tortoise might be fun. Thanks.
I prefer tortoises because of their vegetarian diet.:)

NewMommy
08-05-2011, 06:58 PM
Your DH may be allergic to bird dander as well, it's pretty potent. I cannot bear to see birds in cages coped up in houses......poor things, they deserve better. Though I am aware many bird enthusiasts keep their birds in huge avaries and give them a good life. Be aware of the big mess they make and the screeching....well.....it has me running for cover.

There is no such thing as a hypoallergenic dog or cat, that is a myth and perpetuated by morons who cash in on it by breeding and promoting "hypoallergenic" pets. It is the dander and saliva that people are usually allergic to, I've heard of many people being as allergic to poodles as to any other dog, and other people do great with poodles. I am allergic to some cats but not others, it is all down to how your body make-up reacts to an animal's genetic make-up.

If you get a dog, do much research and be 1000% sure you are up for all the work and commitment it involves if you've not had before.

BTW, I'd love a Sphynx cat. it's spelt "Sphynx" NOT "Sphinx."
Thanks for the info. We had two dogs and a cat when my sister and I were growing up, so I'm pretty up to date when it comes to taking care of dogs and cats.

mommylobster
08-05-2011, 07:47 PM
I'm not sure if bunnies would also cause him to have allergy symptoms but that could be an idea :shrug

LovinBeingMommy
08-05-2011, 08:23 PM

My friend had a poodle because her dad was allergic to other dogs and he did fine. :shrug3 I'm sooo allergic to my mom's cat (we really don't like each other and keep our distance, so I'm mostly ok), but sleep with my cat by my face all night with no issues at all. It's kinda crazy! People never believe me when I say I'm only allergic to *some* cats.

Ethereal
08-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Yeah, it's weird isn't it? :yes I have 4 cats, I'm mildly allergic to the 3 that are short-haired and white and I'm NOT at all allergic to my fluffy medium haired brown tabby :shrug3

I'm not allergic to most dogs but get hives and snuffly around various other animals.

A tortoise sounds like a great idea for the OP, I've never had one of those and they are so sweet! Or if a dog, see how your DH reacts to poodles or whatever breeds might work 4 you.

itzj
08-05-2011, 09:52 PM

This reminds me of my ILs. They swore that the father and brother were horribly allergic. So they went and spent $1200 on a Spanish water dog because it would be hypoallergenic. Then later acquired a long haired cat (stray) and a golden retriever. No allergies. The brother now has 2 dogs, a cat and rabbits.

Lady TS
08-06-2011, 02:50 PM
Irt bird noise at night: that's what a cage cover is for (as well as keeping them warm/out of drafts) ;)

With dogs, my bro was horribly allergic to one breed (Corgi?) but as far as I know is fine with the other dog they got.

NewMommy
08-06-2011, 03:39 PM
Irt bird noise at night: that's what a cage cover is for (as well as keeping them warm/out of drafts) ;)

With dogs, my bro was horribly allergic to one breed (Corgi?) but as far as I know is fine with the other dog they got.
Thanks for the info. :)

LovinBeingMommy
08-06-2011, 04:04 PM

I would sooo not be surprised if it were corgi. They shed so much! I have trouble with any animal that's shedding a lot and corgis lose almost their entire coats twice a year.

NewMommy
08-07-2011, 06:25 PM
Looks like we've decided on a Maltese puppy. They say they're good for allergies. So, come Wednesday, we're off to the pet store! :) (my little one has already said that she wants a girl puppy so she can name her Tellulah :giggle)

MiriamRose
08-07-2011, 06:35 PM
It might be a good idea to have your DH spend some time with whatever breed of animal you're considering (Maltese in this case) just to see if he reacts. My DS is not allergic at all to Shelties (we spent several months living with my parents who have a Sheltie and he never reacted) but broke out in hives around a black lab we dogsat for a few days.

NewMommy
08-07-2011, 07:18 PM
It might be a good idea to have your DH spend some time with whatever breed of animal you're considering (Maltese in this case) just to see if he reacts. My DS is not allergic at all to Shelties (we spent several months living with my parents who have a Sheltie and he never reacted) but broke out in hives around a black lab we dogsat for a few days.
That's what we're planning to do on Wednesday.

racheepoo
08-07-2011, 07:52 PM
Please, please do not buy a dog from a pet store. They do not support responsible breeders...the large majority of their dogs are acquired from puppy mills.

If you want to get a dog, there are lots of rescue organizations that will work to place you with a dog that is perfect for you. Millions of pets are euthanized every year because people do not fully research them before bringing them into their family. Have you checked out whether the dog's temperament meets your family needs? What happens if someone really is allergic?

Ethereal
08-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Couldn't agree more with Racheepoo. If you buy from a pet store you will be contributing to an endless cycle of sickening abuse and exploitation of animals. Not to mention the fact you will have a poorly bred dog who has a very good chance of having behavioral and health problems. There are plenty of Maltese in rescue organizations or people rehoming them.

http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/puppy_mills/

http://www.saynotoanimalsinpetshops.com/

NewMommy
08-07-2011, 09:57 PM
That's why we're waiting until Wednesday. My husband wants to root through a list of breeders vs pet shops vs shelters and crunch some numbers. Our first stop is the pet shop because ours sells puppy food cheap. I figured that before we bring the dog home, we ought to have the things that she needs.

Lady TS
08-08-2011, 04:44 AM
That's why we're waiting until Wednesday. My husband wants to root through a list of breeders vs pet shops vs shelters and crunch some numbers. Our first stop is the pet shop because ours sells puppy food cheap. I figured that before we bring the dog home, we ought to have the things that she needs.

Puppy mills aside, I think if you're going for a specific breed, a pet store is the most convenient place for your hubby to have a "trial run"/exposure to the breed and have a better idea as to whether it will work...rather than immediately getting a dog and bringing it home and bonding with it, only to find out it won't work and dealing w/the fallout there(which is what my brother/sil did with their 4 kids)...

My first puppy was half maltese and half some sort of terrier. He was so sweet. :heart

NewMommy
08-08-2011, 12:51 PM
Puppy mills aside, I think if you're going for a specific breed, a pet store is the most convenient place for your hubby to have a "trial run"/exposure to the breed and have a better idea as to whether it will work...rather than immediately getting a dog and bringing it home and bonding with it, only to find out it won't work and dealing w/the fallout there(which is what my brother/sil did with their 4 kids)...

My first puppy was half maltese and half some sort of terrier. He was so sweet. :heart
Our local pet shop will let us do that.

domesticzookeeper
08-08-2011, 10:54 PM

Just from personal experience: a pet shop may be cheaper than a breeder, but what you're paying for with a breeder is a LIFELONG guarantee. You're paying for the assurance that more thought was put into breeding than just "these two dogs are the same breed". You're paying to know that not only are your puppy's parents healthy and free from any significant genetic issues, they also have well-balanced temperements. Behavior in dogs can be very much inherited, and I can't even tell you how many people I know have had their hearts broken when their new pup turned out to have significant medical issues from poor breeding.

What you pay for in a breeder is having someone there, 24/7, to help you work through issues, answer questions, or deal with problems. A good breeder doesn't want to just sell you a puppy - they want to help you raise a companion :heart

And most importantly, especially in your situation, a good breeder will take the dog back if it turns out that you just can't keep him or her. Breeders care about the dog for the life of the dog. They aren't in it for the money :no What you pay for a puppy will maybe help them break even on the cost of keeping and breeding healthy animals. Great breeders are in it because they love the breed and want to see it as strong and stable as possible.

That's more than worth the price you pay, IMO :)

LovinBeingMommy
08-09-2011, 10:53 AM
Emily is very right. We got our corgi from a breeder. I still email her sometimes, three years later, to let her know how he's doing and she LOVES to hear about him! If anything ever happened and we had to give him up, she'd take him back in a heartbeat. Something else I really like about her is that her breeding dogs are part of her family. They go to her kids' sports events and everything! :) I like knowing that they're allowed to be dogs instead of just producing puppies for profit. I've seen adults from puppy mills and it's heartbreaking. Some don't even know how to walk because their cages are too small to move around in. :cry