PDA

View Full Version : Already starting to think about next year

PDX Mommy
07-28-2011, 03:03 PM
This is my first year gardening and I am learning a lot! :yes Next year, I will give the zucchini their own mega-container, give the tomatoes more room and bigger cages, put the sugar snap peas in their own container w/ a tomato cage to climb. And, try to convince DH to build me another garden bed. :giggle

Earthylady
08-07-2011, 09:34 AM
This was our first year with such a massive garden too and we've been taking notes and mapping out our plan for next year too!

JenLovie
08-07-2011, 09:40 AM
I have a working mental list of how things will be different next year:
-second raised bed
-double the okra plants
-set up an easier watering system
-start seeds earlier and get plants out earlier
-spread out the plants more
-if we go out of town during summer I will secure someone to water the plants daily

Macky
08-07-2011, 05:02 PM
This is a great time to think about next season because you can go out with a tape measure while the plants are at their peak size. :tu

itzj
08-10-2011, 10:05 AM
We're already mapping and planning too. The major redesign next year is curved tunnels for tomatoes. Last year they grew so tall that we had to run lines through the garden and train them to those. This year we tried to avoid that by planting along the outside but they are too tall again and have outgrown what DH tacked on to add height. Next year I'm making high arched tunnels so they can grow up, over and down if necessary. My juliets are already easily 7-8 feet if not more and the amish pastes are easily 6 feet.

We're also thinking about starting to phase in some raised beds.

Macky
08-10-2011, 11:59 AM
You must live where the season is long and hot to get toms that size!

Earthylady
08-10-2011, 05:59 PM
Our moneymakers and Amish paste tomatoe plants have gotten so big and bushy that the tomatoe cages have fallen/bent over from the weight of them. Hubby used wood stakes to hold up the wire cages and they're still falling over. We've never had that problem nor do we now have that problem with our Roma bushes. It's crazy to us as we've never seen anything like it before.

wallflowermama
08-10-2011, 06:01 PM
I want to start gardening so this is all very encouraging. So far I did herbs this summer:)

canadiyank
08-10-2011, 09:36 PM
You learn stuff every year, it's fun! It's my first year at our new house so learned lots for next year.

itzj
08-11-2011, 11:05 AM
You must live where the season is long and hot to get toms that size!

7a. I don't know if it's just the varieties I picked or what but some of them are ridiculously tall. I did have some epic failures this year too. The heinz were miserable and la roma as well. I kinda wish I had the patience to do my own seedlings, but right now is just not the stage of life for that for me. For now I'm relying on the expertise of a mennonite nursery.