PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what could do this to green beans?

StoryOfGrace
07-28-2011, 11:30 AM
So, about half of all of our green beans have been ruined! I don't know what's doing it, but it looks like they are just getting chopped right off or in half! Could this be some sort of bug, or is it birds? I haven't seen too many birds in the bean area (the tomatoes on the other hand...) but then again, I'm not looking out my window all day either.
Has anyone else ever had this problem?
Thanks in advance.

Macky
07-28-2011, 12:11 PM
The plants are getting chopped or the beans themselves? Are you talking about bush beans (low to the ground) or pole beans (up high)? Hard to deduce without specific info and a pic.

Cutworms will slice through plants, but I'm not sure they go after mature stems (look that one up, though). Do you have any other creatures in your garden... rabbits, moles, etc.? I think mice ate the tops off a few of our broccoli heads this year. This is my 11th season gardening here and that's a first for us! Green beans don't have a whole lot of pest issues (in terms of insects), so I would think a bird or nibbling creature is most likely. It would be much easier if you supplied a pic of the damage, though.

Lady TS
07-28-2011, 12:19 PM
If it's the beans themselves getting chopped off, I would say bunny or other small critter..(or child:shifty). If it's the plants themselves getting chopped off...my vote is deer.

But you might be urban for all I know...deer might not even be an option! :giggle

StoryOfGrace
07-28-2011, 12:23 PM
Well, our garden is fenced inside a fenced yard :giggle But, I have seen rabbits get in (and some deer do live on the other side of the fence).
But, they are pole beans (sorry, should have specified :shifty), and it is the beans themselves. I will try and get a picture on here...if I can figure out how. I keep thinking its birds, but DH keeps saying it must be some kind of beetle :shrug3 This is only our second garden here (our last one was a few years ago) and they did GREAT last time, so this has been a bit of a shock for us!

Macky
07-28-2011, 03:38 PM
Pests vary depending on where you live. I've never encountered a beetle that chews through green pole beans, but I have no idea if they exist elsewhere. I would tend to think not. I find bird droppings on my pole teepees and tomato stakes all the time, so I'm going to go with the bird theory for now.

StoryOfGrace
08-01-2011, 06:55 AM
Well, it was a busy weekend, but I did managed to catch a glimpse of the culprits...mocking birds! Same things that are having a blast with our tomatoes. So my next question...

How to scare off birds? I have two scarecrows, but they aren't doing a bit of good (in fact, I often see the birds perched on them!). Any suggestions?

Thanks again for your responses!

Lady TS
08-01-2011, 09:51 AM
maybe plastic bags hung around them? Or I've seen aluminum pie tins tied around gardens to scare birds (I think?)

RiverRock
08-01-2011, 10:08 AM
I had to put netting over my strawberry plants because of birds. Local blueberry fields use gun shot sound machines, netting, pie plates, cds or long rows of reflective/mirror tape.

Macky
08-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Ditto the pp. :) Small birds tend not to like fluttery, reflective stuff. I haven't used netting because I worry that their little feet will get caught in it. That's just me over-thinking, though... I have no idea if that actually happens. I should put up some reflective tape next year so that MAYBE I could get more than a handful of ripe saskatoon berries. I swear the birds around here stalk that bush 24/7 before they strip it clean... overnight. :giggle