PDA

View Full Version : Beef Ribs recipe?

ncsweetpea
07-20-2011, 07:18 AM
We order our cow by the half side. There are always a few cuts I am unsure as to how to prepare. The ribs are one of them.

I have tried a few recipes, but we haven't liked any of them. Can you share a tried and true beef rib recipe you love?

greengirl19
07-20-2011, 07:31 AM
this is the recipe our local cow farm gave out with their ribs. we made it for 4th of july.

Put the ribs in a dutch oven, cover with 1 c water and 1 c apple cider vinegar.
bake at 350 until they fall apart (i've just done 2 hours)
heat up the grill, take the ribs out of the dutch oven, cover with your favorite bbq sauce
grill 5 minutes a side just to sear on the sauce
remove from grill, cover with foil for 20 minutes, then enjoy!

JessicaTX
07-20-2011, 07:35 AM
I've done most of a jar of barbecue sauce and a half a beer in the crockpot for 4 hours on high, then take them out and grill them with the rest of the barbecue sauce to make them deliciously sticky!

Blue Savannah
07-20-2011, 07:49 AM
mmm. . . Serafine's recipe is killer. I'll go find it and post. :)

Here it is, (edited with the REAL recipe name).

"Slap Yo Gramma Ribs" OR "Ribs Good Enough for Some Gramma Slappin'"

INGREDIENTS:
5 pounds beef chuck short ribs
24 ounces beer
Spicy BBQ Sauce (recipe follows), or your favorite bottled sauce.

DIRECTIONS:

Trim any excess fat from ribs. Place ribs in a Dutch oven or large cooking pot. Add beer to cover ribs. Bring to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for about 2 hours or until fork-tender.

Prepare outdoor grill to medium heat. Place ribs on grill; brush with half of reserved Spicy Barbeque Sauce for basting. Grill, covered, turning often and brushing with remaining basting sauce, for 15 minutes or until slightly crispy on the outside.

Heat reserved Spicy Barbeque Sauce for dipping. Serve with ribs.

Spicy Barbeque Sauce:

1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup vinegar
3 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon liquid hot pepper

Simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes. Reserve half of sauce for basting and half for dipping.

I cook the ribs in the crock pot til tender. This sauce is so good! I'm making BBQ beef with it for dinner.

Kiara.I
07-20-2011, 08:28 AM
:popcorn

We order our cow by the half side. There are always a few cuts I am unsure as to how to prepare. The ribs are one of them.

ME TOO! Thank you for posting this!

Serafine
07-20-2011, 08:35 AM
I was just coming to post that Kristin. ;)

My only request is that, if you use the recipe, you call it by its rightful name..."slap yo gramma ribs" OR "ribs good enough for some gramma slappin'." :lol

And like I told K back when I gave her the recipe...you don't have to use beer...you can use anything that will braise and tenderize the meat (the water with ACV posted by a PP would work, as would wine). Truthfully, even water works okay...but adding a little stable acid to the water is ideal.

MudPies
07-20-2011, 08:35 AM
Subbing

Serafine
07-20-2011, 08:40 AM
We made this for either xmas or new year's, I can't remember. VERY good, but be warned...it is EXTREMELY rich. :yum

http://southernfood.about.com/od/beefribs/r/bl52c9.htm

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

You can also use them for stew...
http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/short-rib-stew

Blue Savannah
07-20-2011, 09:26 AM
I edited my post :giggle The name is almost as good as the ribs!

ncsweetpea
07-20-2011, 11:10 AM
I'll try it! The name is intriguing...now to find GF beer. Does anyone know the name of one?

Serafine
07-20-2011, 11:13 AM
I'll try it! The name is intriguing...now to find GF beer. Does anyone know the name of one?

Seriously...you do NOT need the beer. The last time I made them, I just used water...and they were still WAY good enough to slap a gramma. :yes