PDA

View Full Version : An NF's Guide to Rose Care

Starfox
07-15-2011, 02:03 PM
:giggle:giggle:giggle

Our new house has a rose garden in the back and a whole row of roses up the walk. The lady that sold us the house left me a book on rose care, but reading it to not kill them is about #3,458 on my list of things to do. I, of course, have no clue on what to do to care for them.

I have been cutting off the roses as they die, but that's it.

Can you please give me an NF's version of Rose Care? Basically, bullet points of the most important things would be much much appreciated. :D

Peridot
07-15-2011, 02:07 PM
don't let dry clippings or leaves or grass or anything gather around the bases of the rosebush. Mold will kill a rose entirely.

Do you know what type they are?

Keep cutting off spent blooms. When the first frosty night hits, stop pruning, and stop cutting off the dead blossoms (deadheading).

When you first see Forsythia blooming in the spring, you can trim them a bit and give them a rose fertilizer.

enjoy! :rockon

Macky
07-15-2011, 02:25 PM
Thanks to both of you... I needed that compressed info, too. :shifty I'm particularly embarassed because my paternal grandmother won awards for her rose garden and I can't even keep a Morden Blush going strong. :blush

Starfox
07-15-2011, 02:58 PM
don't let dry clippings or leaves or grass or anything gather around the bases of the rosebush. Mold will kill a rose entirely.

Do you know what type they are?

Keep cutting off spent blooms. When the first frosty night hits, stop pruning, and stop cutting off the dead blossoms (deadheading).

When you first see Forsythia blooming in the spring, you can trim them a bit and give them a rose fertilizer.

enjoy! :rockon

Thank you SOOOOO MUCH!!!

What about mulch? There's mulch all around them.

One other question.... some of them have long long stems coming off them (like 4 feet long!!!) I just chopped them off. Is that ok?

I have no clue what kind they are, but they are all different in the rose garden and all the same out front. They're pretty! :D

Maybe I'll get some photos and post.

Peridot
07-15-2011, 04:21 PM
If the long canes (branches) are coming up from out of the soil, they might need to be cut off. :think Most roses are roots from one kind and the bush is another variety. There should be a big lump in the central stalk just below the soil, and if a cane is growing from below that, on the roots, cut that thing off!! :giggle

Mulch isn't great. But if the roses are getting full sun most of the day, it won't cause problems. :think

Let me see if I can find a link for you...

---------- Post added at 07:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 PM ----------

this one has some good info on pruning further down.

http://www.rose.org/rose-care/