PDA

View Full Version : so today I saw a door standing in a field*photos in 12*

believer
07-13-2011, 01:54 PM
As I drove around behind the bank to go through it's drive-through service area, I noticed a door standing in the field behind the bank. It immediately piqued my curiosity as thoughts of fantasy novels where people step through doorways in the middle of nowhere into other worlds, realms and dimensions flooded my mind. Fairly certain that this door did not lead to another dimension, and not recalling having seen this door during previous banking trips, I remained curious about it's presence standing in the field behind the bank. So, after making a deposit at the drive-through, I drove to the edge of the parking lot to take a closer look at the door standing in the field.
Then, I saw that the door was in a wooden frame - about the size of an outhouse, and it looked like the type of door one would see inside a house - painted white, with inset pannels. Curiouser and curiouser, I noticed what lay beyond the door - not through it, but beyond it to the left - a large vegetable garden. Wondering if the garden belonged to one of the home owners whose fenced yards backed up to the field, or to the church whose parking lot bordered the field, I parked, and walked out to see what the door was all about and to look at the garden. The door, as I said, was set in a wooden frame and the frame made a box around some metal boxes within it. It was a double door - but still the width of a regular door, and the two pieces of the door were padlocked together which at first seemed odd because there is empty space around the door and you can just reach around the door to touch what is within if you want to. As I drew closer to the door, I saw why it is padlocked and why it does not matter that you can reach around into the space behind it if you want to. You would not want to reach inside because the metal boxes inside of the framework are beehives.
I then walked around the beehives and the bees flying around them, behind the door and on to the garden. It is fenced and has 10 raised garden plots in frames of wood each one fenced individually, one with a mesh tent over it to keep birds out. There are water hoses and some jugs of water and lots of veggies growing there. Still wondering who it belonged to, I returned to my car past the beehives behind the door standing in the field which had originally evoked my curiosity. When I reached my car, an elderly man drove up and stopped next to it - and he told me about the garden. It is a CSA garden run by the church, approved and assisted by the city and anyone can join for $100 a year and have their own plot. He said they will e-mail me and let me know when they start their new plots in Jan. Although they only have 10 plots now, they have room for 100 or so. He told me that the bees are necessary for pollination in the garden. I think it sounds like a fun thing to do and will definitely consider joining this or another CSA in the next year when they begin again!

Bonnie
07-13-2011, 02:08 PM
That whole thing sounds so cool!

Macky
07-13-2011, 02:10 PM
You are hereby commanded to go back and take a photo to post. ;) Sounds really lovely!

FindingMyWay
07-13-2011, 02:36 PM
You are hereby commanded to go back and take a photo to post. ;) Sounds really lovely!

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol

Lady TS
07-13-2011, 02:47 PM
your description is so lovely---please drive by and take a pic! :)

What a good attention-getter!

cro
07-13-2011, 02:48 PM
That is so cool! :rockon Now I want a door and a garden like that!

Macky
07-13-2011, 05:29 PM
If I put up a cool door like that here, our donkey would eat it. :sigh

swimming with sharks
07-13-2011, 05:33 PM
That was just a lovely description.... :melt Thanks! :poke Now go get some pics. Well, I guess you can wait until it's light again. :giggle:shifty

believer
07-13-2011, 06:32 PM
Thanks. I wished I had my camera with me. I will try to remember to take it with me next time I go that way. I hope the gardens continue to do ok. We are in a major drought right now and in the midst of a streak of over 100 degree weather.

---------- Post added at 01:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 AM ----------

The man who I spoke to told me about a community garden area that is run by the city that is closer to my house. I have never seen anything like that where he said it was. So, I just looked it up online. It is behind the animal shelter that I do foster care for :jump2. I have not seen it because it is back behind a transfer station as well. Here is a link that tells about it http://www.plano.gov/Departments/Environmental%20Services/education/facilities/Pages/PlanoCommunityGarden.aspx
How neat is that? I am going to go over there in the next few days and take my camera with me and see what we can do to join up and garden there!

allisonintx
07-13-2011, 06:33 PM
This is just so amazing. Wow.

ThreeKids
07-13-2011, 06:49 PM
Oh my goodness, Is it a sin that I'm envious that happened to you and not to me? There is something Alice in Wonderland about that.

The pad lock was hilarious, that there was a practical reason for it was all the funnier.

I think you've stumbled upon the most ingenious advertising we've seen in a while in a world saturated with advertising. Like the piano on a sand bar, it was something that bade you to investigate it and you ended up discovering something you were interested in.

believer
07-23-2011, 02:38 PM
So today I went back to the bank, taking my daughter Becca with me. I told her that we were going to take pictures of a door in the field behind the bank. She thought that sounded very strange. After banking at the drive-through and allowing Becca to examine the canister that the money goes in and wondering how it goes though the ceiling into the bank - she thinks that there could be tiny people in there pushing it through - we drove to the back to see the door in the field.
When Becca saw the door she thought it looked like something out of a movie. Monster's Inc.
Here is a photo from a distance:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/dbjorn/doorinfield003.jpg
and one with the garden
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/dbjorn/doorinfield005.jpg
and a close up to try to show the beehives within it without going too close because bees are flying all around it:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/dbjorn/doorinfield006.jpg
and one of the garden, which looks suprisingly good considering the lack of rain and abundance of 100 degree weather we have been having:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/dbjorn/doorinfield007.jpg

ThreeKids
07-23-2011, 04:02 PM
It's the Tardis.

Macky
07-23-2011, 07:32 PM
It's the Tardis.
:haha Okay that's done it. Someday when I get to rebuild our garden shed, I'm painting it Tardis blue.

They've got a tonne of space for more plots, too. That's awesome! :rockon