PDA

View Full Version : What have I done????

3boysforme
07-10-2011, 06:33 PM
The boys have been begging me for a pet since we moved into a house. Every day they have asked me.

A dog was not an option, 1. because I have too much on my plate without adding walking a dog, and 2. because my landlord requested no dogs.

So, today we got Ray Ray. My 4 year old named him. :giggle

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b164/Hej415/a80a5f79.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b164/Hej415/e0e81d11.jpg

We adopted him at the ASPCA. :rockon

Now to the "what was I thinking?" part. Um, spirited 2.5 year old, and a kitten??? Not a good combo! I have spent most of the afternoon trying to convince Gage NOT to poke, pull, or grab the head/neck of poor Ray Ray. Ray Ray has spent most of the day hiding :shifty. Will it get better? Will Gage tire of torturing the poor cat?

And one more question. Ray Ray has only gone to the bathroom one since we got home at 2pm. He did his business in older two boys' bedroom. I assumed it was because we just got home and he did not know where the litter box was ( or maybe because I hadn't set it up yet :shifty), and I have been taking him every so often to his box so he knows where it is. How often do kittens go? Should I keep bringing him or will he go on his own? I am really not wanting a cat peeing and pooping everywhere, I already have a toddler who does that. :-/

Any thing I need to know? It has been quite a while since I have had a pet, and this is a first pet for the boys.

LoveIsGentle
07-10-2011, 06:37 PM
:nak so i'll let others answer, but he is sooo cute!

Apple-Saucy
07-10-2011, 06:38 PM
If you put his business IN the litter box he will naturally go to it to go there again.

SilverMoon
07-10-2011, 08:42 PM
I'd keep the cat shut in the room with the litter box for a day or two. First, this tells him right where that box is. Second, it helps him get used to the noises and smells of the new house without little fingers to poke, pry, and pick him up.
After a couple days, then I'd let him roam about a little bit, while the kids are asleep or out of the house. This gives him a chance to explore the house and know where the box is for when he needs to return. I'd still have him sleep in the room at night, though. This also keeps him contained when you can't supervise him to make sure he's not eliminating elsewhere.
Also, it's a good idea to have one litter box per cat, plus one more in a different location. That way if the cat can't get to the box there's a back up. Also have one on each level of the house if you'll be allowing it into the basement, upstairs, etc.
Make sure you clean the accident spot with an enzymatic cleaner. Many people like Nature's Miracle. I prefer something my friend found at Petco that's in a black spray bottle. I have no idea the name, though. Then feed the cat in that spot for a few days. They don't usually eliminate where they eat. If he continues, have him vet checked in case he picked up something from the shelter or has an untreated UTI. Shelter cats can have 'issues' related to stress, life at a shelter, moving to a new and strange place, so be prepared for an adjustment time.

Amber
07-11-2011, 10:55 AM
I agree with SilverMoon. I would set the kitten up in a small room with for a few days. Then he has a safe place to be and you and the kids can go in to visit him, but he won't be constantly harassed.

mrsd
07-11-2011, 10:59 AM
He is so cute. He'll learn the litterbox soon. Right now, he is adjusting to his new home!

3boysforme
07-11-2011, 12:27 PM
He has found a place to hide :yes

He had a bm in the living room, and I put it in his box. He went in there a couple times before I left for work. And, he was out and about around the boys this morning and seemed okay with it.