PDA

View Full Version : It's wineberry season!

cbmk4
07-10-2011, 10:34 AM
Once again, I feel very blessed at the huge "crop" of wineberries I have to pick this year. For anyone who doesn't know, they are wild red berries that resemble red raspberries.

Growing up, we had wild black raspberries to pick. I actually like them a bit better but we have only a few of that variety of bramble out back. This year I did not try to clear the steep bank beyond the fence in our back yard which borders the woods. What a good move, because all those unsightly brambles are yielding some more yummy berries. I picked a gallon of them this afternoon and didn't even make a dent in the harvest.

The younger girls and I have been eating them by the handfuls. Yum!

Now if only we had wild blueberries out back...

Hermana Linda
07-19-2011, 09:21 PM
I'm glad you are appreciating the harvest. :yes My parents let their blackberry patch get so unruly that they can only harvest from the fringes. It's a scary mess that takes over most of their yard. :shiver They are tasty though. :yum

shaslove
07-19-2011, 09:31 PM
Berries are yummy...can you actually make wine w/wineberries?

cbmk4
07-20-2011, 04:35 AM
I suppose that's where the name came from, but I have never tried to do so. They are great in berry crisps or cobblers. My family uses them up pretty fast in smoothies.