PDA

View Full Version : Rehoming my dog

Atsirk
07-09-2011, 11:51 AM
We've decided to rehome at least 1 of our dogs. The one that is definitely going as of now I have put on craigslist. I'm providing everything he needs to go to a new home (i.e. crate, collar, leash, food, food bowl, toys, pillow). He's 3 years old and is neutered, crate trained, and house broken. He is a mixed breed. Very friendly yet hyper. He is too rough with Everett and has become food aggressive. He is spending most of his days in his crate and I know it is right to find him a new home. I'm asking for a $40 rehoming fee. Does this seem completely unreasonable?

We've been contacted by a family who is interested in him, but initially said they couldn't justify spending more than $20. Since then has come back and said they'll do $30. Now my DH is saying he doesn't feel comfortable letting him go to their home, because they acted like his life wasn't worth much. He says they are only looking for a pet not a family member. What do you think?

Llee
07-09-2011, 11:58 AM
Well, $30 is $30 more than you had. That's a great price for a dog that has all the medical stuff done.

To me, it sounded like they would like a dog, but didn't have enough $. But what is YOUR gut feeling? Are they going to treat the dog well, even though it may be be the exact way you would?

Atsirk
07-09-2011, 12:05 PM
I think he'll thrive with this family. It sounds like they have plenty of room for him to run and will take care of him. I'm asking this family some more questions for DH. Hopefully he'll be reassured with their answers.

happylizzz
07-09-2011, 12:40 PM
I just wanted to add that I have never, ever received the full amount of an original listing on craigslist. Now when I list items, I list them for more than what I want so I'll get what I want. IMO it's a place that welcomes price haggling. Perhaps they think the same thing?

Good luck rehoming, I know it's never a fun thing. :(

Atsirk
07-09-2011, 12:56 PM
Thanks. This one is especially hard because he's mine. DH's cousin gave him to me for my birthday 3 years ago. But, I know this is best for him. He deserves better than what he is getting. DH agreed to go meet this family, so we're about to leave. I'm praying they are the right fit for Shiloh. :pray4

Llee
07-09-2011, 01:06 PM
I hope they are too!

MudPies
07-09-2011, 01:29 PM
:pray4:pray4

Atsirk
07-09-2011, 03:59 PM
Shiloh went home with the couple we met with. They seemed very nice and he fell in love with them right away. I've had some emotional moments this afternoon/evening, but I know we did what needed to be done. It stinks to be a grown up sometimes. The couple said we could meet up and see Shiloh whenever we want and they will send pictures when we want to see how he is doing. I think he will be loved and happy with them. I hope he has an easy first night!

---------- Post added at 06:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 PM ----------

The couple that took him actually just sent me a text and said he's doing great and is happy and relaxed. I cried when I read it, but I'm glad he's being good for them.

MudPies
07-09-2011, 05:28 PM
:hug

kiloyd
07-09-2011, 08:16 PM
Sounds like you did the right thing. So hard though. :(

Atsirk
07-09-2011, 08:22 PM
Thanks. We spent most of the evening at my parents' house. It was weird for him to not be here when we got home. I wonder how long it will take me to get used to it....

Amber
07-09-2011, 11:29 PM
:hug