PDA

View Full Version : Anyone care to keep a harvest tally with me?

WildOlive
07-08-2011, 11:28 AM
I want to keep a tally for my own benefit, and I thought it would be fun to see what everyone is growing. Here's what I've harvested and processed so far:

2011 Harvest running totals:

30 quarts strawberries
2 quarts sour cherries
6 quarts red raspberries
10 lbs. rhubarb
4 bunches swiss chard
220 onions
2 jalapenos
4 bunches forellenschluss lettuce
3 lb. snow peas
6 bunches broccoli
20 danvers carrots
10 purple haze carrots
15 zucchini
20 dragon egg cucumbers
20 reg. cucumbers
lots of cilantro & basil
9 qts green beans
1 cabbage
10 qts. blueberries
15 cherry tomatoes

Preserved:
8 half-pints raspberry jam
9 half-pints strawberry jam
1 qt. dehydrated strawberries
4 qts. frozen mashed strawberries
1 qt. frozen broccoli
7 pts. dilly beans (some from SIL's garden)
1 qt. sauerkraut
1 qt. pesto

from purchased local produce:
28 quarts sweet cherries (40lb lug $80)
20 qts. dill pickles (bought 1 bushel cukes for $22)
6 pts. dill pickles
5 qts. chunk sweet pickles
3 pts. chunk sweet pickles
14 qts. bread & butter pickles
26 qts. pickled beets (1 bushel $20)
6 half pts. watermelon rind preserves

Waterlogged
07-08-2011, 11:31 PM
wow! :rockon

PDX Mommy
07-11-2011, 02:07 PM
I will, once I start producing food! :giggle

Macky
07-12-2011, 06:55 PM
It's too hard for me to keep track. :giggle

We've probably got 10+ lbs of asparagus in the freezer. Fresh eating and bunches we've given away probably total around 20+ lbs. The asparagus is now done (letting it fern).

Our rhubarb supply is essentially unlimited. We've got six plants that have been here for likely 20 years at least. They're huge. I've made some rhubarb jam and crisps and given away armloads. I have no idea what it all weighed. The stalks are thicker than my stubby thumbs, as long as my arm and nearly all bright red.

This is the first of our broccoli to be ready for harvest. Picked it tonight for supper. :yum It was 8 inches across and 1.5 lbs. I've got 54 planted out there, but not all are doing well (it was a mystery variety packet, dumb). I've started a second batch for fall. The little leaves within the head there are due to some heat stress it endured in June.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/Macky77/DSC_3097.jpg <-- different pic from below (shows weight on scale)
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/Macky77/DSC_3099.jpg

The onions just started bulbing last week. There are 100 out there. The peas should be ready to harvest in a week or so. Everything else is just growing away as it should. I'm in zone 2, so my harvests will be much later than those of you in warmer climes.

JustMandy
07-12-2011, 07:04 PM
Yeah! Fun idea!

Still producing:
3 quarts of cucumbers so far (made yummy pickles :yum)
3 zucchinis
pint green beans

Done:
1/2 pint of strawberries (:( the squirrels ate more than we did)
Lots of lettuce
1 onion

If I don't get some DE out there, this will be it. :nails

magpiedpiper
07-12-2011, 07:53 PM
Wow! Love seeing your harvests, ladies. Hope your gardens keep producing well.

My tally is easy so far - big fat ZERO. Cukes are finally starting though and I have a whole three tomatoes growing now too. :giggle

charla
07-12-2011, 08:22 PM
I want to try a tally. My garden must be way smaller than yours.

Handful of green beans
Two bowls of lettuce for salad
Two bunches of cilantro before it bolted
Basil, parsley and chives that I pick as needed for recipes
6 radishes - it was a bad year for radishes
5 cucumbers
5 onions

I'm waiting on zucchini, tomatoes, corn, carrots, broccoli and canteloupe. I planted strawberries and asparagus this year so won't get any harvest this season.

WildOlive
07-13-2011, 04:05 AM
I have never kept track before, but I am really trying to move toward being less dependent on conventional supply chains, so it is really important to me to track how many of each thing I am growing and what the yield is. Already I am realizing I need far more ground tilled up!

Charla, I have never had success w/ radishes. Mine always get all wormy.

greengirl19
07-13-2011, 04:13 AM
I wish I had started this at the beginning of the season for me. I probably picked:

50 lbs of zucchini (just pulled up due to squash borers)
100 lbs tomatoes (still going strong, lots of canning and giving away)
5 lbs green beans(ate most, dehydrated some)
4 peppers (planted too late and slugs)
5 lbs of okra (just getting started)
bunches of basil

picked at PYO farm:
20 lbs strawberries(jam and dried and frozen)
15 lbs blackberries(jam and frozen)
15 lbs blueberries(jam and frozen)

HuggaBuggaMommy
07-13-2011, 07:08 AM
Wow, all! We live in the Northeast, so it's a short, late growing season. Plants don't even go into the ground until the last weekend in May/first week of June. Plus it's been a cool, rainy summer - not great for growing. So far I've harvested:

-3 heads of lettuce
-1/2 dozen peas (yes, you read correctly :giggle )

I have tons of blossoms on my cukes, the corn is up, there are some green tomatoes on my tomato plants. Peppers and beans will be starting soon. Peas are starting to produce. I do have tons of herbs growing, so that's good. My strawberry patch is in its first year, so I'm taking off the flowers before they fruit.

Macky
07-13-2011, 11:22 AM
Christa, I'm north, too... we can be behind together. :) Our spring was dry for the most part, so we got to get early crops (peas and broccoli for me) in earlier than usual. The last week of May or first week of June is totally typical for us, though, even for "cool season" crops. Peppers don't go out until mid-June unless you have tunnels, etc.

WildOlive
07-13-2011, 11:43 AM
Yes, I'm in the northeast too. 3 hrs. north of Syracuse, near the Canadian border. I won't be getting tomatoes and peppers for awhile! (The jalapenos were already on the plants when I bought them in a 6-pack :giggle)

Macky
07-16-2011, 10:19 AM
Just harvested all my dill this morning - about 2.5 pounds in all. The aphids were just starting to notice it and the seed heads were just starting to form. Since I grow it only for the leaves and not for the heads, there was no reason not to just take it all in now. I've got a few ice cube trays stuffed full in the freezer and the rest I'll dry. Sprained my right thumb yesterday (bad enough the doc actually ordered x-rays in case it was broken), so it's slow going with clipping and chopping, but it's getting done... eventually! :) Three more pounds of broccoli picked last night, too.

So running tally then is:

asparagus: 30+ pounds
rhubarb: unlimited
broccoli: 4.5 pounds

My tally is boring so far because I don't grow the fast spring stuff like greens and radishes and such. I grow mostly stuff I can preserve for winter.

charla
07-16-2011, 10:50 AM
Handful of green beans
9 cucumbers
5 onions

picked four more cucumbers for a total of 9

Macky
07-18-2011, 12:00 PM
So running tally then is:

broccoli: 4.5 pounds
dill: 2.5 pounds

Picked 6 more pounds of broccoli this morning and had my first proper pick of peas totalling 12.5 pounds. :)

arelyn
07-18-2011, 12:59 PM
Shamlessly stalking WldOlive's garden

Macky
07-19-2011, 10:13 AM
Handfuls of raspberries and saskatoon berries (http://www.canadasfood.com/history_products/saskatoon_berries.php) this morning. They'll be ripening en masse soon! :yum

itzj
07-19-2011, 11:07 AM
Here are our notable numbers thus far:
80 zucchini
43 cucumbers
76 tomatoes
303 green beans (mix of purple and green, mostly purple)

We've also harvested stuff like lettuce, swiss chard, carrots, leeks and eggplant. But I don't have a scale and those are more annoying to count or haven't been that significant.

I'm a little depressed about the tomato number. I think we have early blight or something because my plants just look depressing and are losing all of the foliage below the fruit that's been set. I know that might be normal but it happened all at once and I think it might be early blight. At any rate, I don't expect nearly as good of a harvest. Thank God we also have a csa. I'll be getting a lot of tomatoes to sauce.

I think the zucchini will drop off soon because DH stopped inspecting them for bugs and the vine borers invaded. We cut out the ones we could find and buried the roots, but I don't know if the plants will recover or not.

JustMandy
07-19-2011, 05:45 PM
Yeah! Fun idea!

Still producing:
3 quarts of cucumbers so far (made yummy pickles :yum)
3 zucchinis
pint green beans

Done:
1/2 pint of strawberries (:( the squirrels ate more than we did)
Lots of lettuce
1 onion

If I don't get some DE out there, this will be it. :nails

3 more pints of greenbeans
1 more zuc
3 cucumbers
some swiss chard...no idea how much

(Plus about 6 eggs/day :rockon)

charla
07-20-2011, 06:15 AM
TALLY
Handful of green beans
9 cucumbers
5 onions
2 peppers

4 more cucumbers and two peppers

Macky
07-22-2011, 11:04 AM
Another 9.75 lbs of peas plus a .75 lb head of broccoli for supper last night. Need to pick more of both today.

TALLY
broccoli: 11.25 pounds and counting
peas: 22.25 pounds (roughly 8.5 lbs after shelling)

WildOlive
07-22-2011, 11:36 AM
Robin, do you know what variety of broccoli you have? My heads are small compared to yours. I didn't get my seeds started early enough, so I bought plants at the greenhouse, and they were labeled simply 'broccoli'. :giggle

Macky
07-22-2011, 12:20 PM
This is the one year I cannot answer that question - sorry, Renee! I bought a variety packet (http://www.veseys.com/ca/en/store/vegetables/broccoli/allseasonblend) from Veseys to try this year and I'm really regretting it. It's supposed to be a mix of varieties that will mature over a longer period, but obviously some of them don't like my garden. Some are huge and lush and others in the same row are miniscule, to the point where some aren't going to produce at all. I'm never doing that again!

Normally I grow Premium Crop (http://www.veseys.com/ca/en/store/vegetables/broccoli/premiumcrop) and LOVE it. I was just hankering to try something new this year (:doh). The heads on Premium Crop are just as big as the nice ones I'm getting this year (but on every plant ;)). Definitely going back next year.

Broccoli and cauliflower do NOT like being root bound at all. The younger you plant them into the garden, the better they produce. If you're starting them inside, never ever let them go longer than four weeks from seeding to planting out in the garden – and that's even with one plant per cell in the pack. If kept too long in cell packs, they "button" and there's no use even planting them. Most starter plants you buy will not produce nearly the size of head that you'll get by seeding yourself and transplanting young.

Macky
07-26-2011, 08:57 AM
No one else keeping up?

Another 12.5 lbs of peas (4 lbs 10 oz shelled). That's it. I tried a new variety this year called Legacy. Three really great pickings, but then it was done. I'm used to peas flowering constantly until the vines die off, so this is new to me. The upside is that IF I can get out there to plant some more seeds, I might just have time for a fall crop as well. In zone 2, that's something we don't get to do very often. :)

July 26 (pm) - 2.75 more lbs of broccoli. That's it for the spring broccoli... I think some mice have been munching the last half dozen heads, so we won't be getting to harvest those. :(

Current tally is:
broccoli: 14 pounds (spring crop)
peas: 34.75 pounds (roughly 13.25 lbs after shelling)

WildOlive
07-26-2011, 12:19 PM
I just keep editing my original post, so I have it all in one place. :)

Macky
07-26-2011, 02:48 PM
Ah, I see. :) But then I never know when you've updated.

charla
07-26-2011, 03:03 PM
I've been trying to keep track, but lately I haven't gotten much of anything since we've had such extreme heat. :(

Sundance
07-26-2011, 03:18 PM
This is the one year I cannot answer that question - sorry, Renee! I bought a variety packet (http://www.veseys.com/ca/en/store/vegetables/broccoli/allseasonblend) from Veseys to try this year and I'm really regretting it. It's supposed to be a mix of varieties that will mature over a longer period, but obviously some of them don't like my garden. Some are huge and lush and others in the same row are miniscule, to the point where some aren't going to produce at all. I'm never doing that again!

Normally I grow Premium Crop (http://www.veseys.com/ca/en/store/vegetables/broccoli/premiumcrop) and LOVE it. I was just hankering to try something new this year (:doh). The heads on Premium Crop are just as big as the nice ones I'm getting this year (but on every plant ;)). Definitely going back next year.

Broccoli and cauliflower do NOT like being root bound at all. The younger you plant them into the garden, the better they produce. If you're starting them inside, never ever let them go longer than four weeks from seeding to planting out in the garden – and that's even with one plant per cell in the pack. If kept too long in cell packs, they "button" and there's no use even planting them. Most starter plants you buy will not produce nearly the size of head that you'll get by seeding yourself and transplanting young.

I probably won't be keeping a tally, not by weight or anything.
We planted everything very late, but so did everyone around here, the weather was just TOO awful! Most stuff wasn't in the ground til the 2nd week of June!

Thanks for all the broccoli and cauliflower info. Mine did really bad this year (they're SO small!)...but like I said above, I planted them out really late, so root bound they were!!

charla
07-27-2011, 11:16 AM
TALLY
Handful of green beans
15 cucumbers
5 onions
2 peppers
2 canteloupe

Picked 6 more cucumbers and 2 canteloupe.

PDX Mommy
07-28-2011, 03:00 PM
Got my first harvest from my garden today! 1 small green pepper. It probably could've stayed on longer, but it appeared to be stressing out the plant (no other peppers were growing on it) and it smelled so yummy. :shifty What I didn't see was a small hole from some insect. :( I can still eat it, right? I want!

Oh wait, I have to correct myself. I harvested some flat leaf Italian Parsley yesterday, too. ;)

Macky
07-29-2011, 12:18 PM
No prob on eating the rest of the pepper. :) I picked a green pepper the other day, too... couldn't wait until it was mature. :giggle

charla
07-29-2011, 10:00 PM
TALLY
Handful of green beans
15 cucumbers
5 onions
2 peppers
2 canteloupe
4 ears of corn
Coriander seeds

4 ears of corn and a handful of coriander seeds

PDX Mommy
08-01-2011, 10:46 AM
Picked two zucchini today (and had to throw out two rotten ones). So, that brings me to a handful of Italian Parsley, 1 green pepper, and 2 zucchini. Woo! :giggle

Macky
08-01-2011, 06:03 PM
I'm so happy! At least one row of the bush beans that I thought were toast (overgrown by potatoes, I spaced them too close together) gave me a great first picking today! :tu I got four pounds from 11 feet of bush beans and four Emerite pole beans. :) The runners are just starting to set some here and there. Also dug up four pounds of Yukon Gold potatoes from a single plant, so I'm pleased there, too! Have the potatoes on the barbeque as I type and the beans are ready to go in the pot. Yay!

charla
08-04-2011, 09:32 PM
TALLY
Handful of green beans
16 cucumbers
5 onions
2 peppers
2 canteloupe
4 ears of corn
Coriander seeds
1 zucchini

1 zucchini and 1 cucumber

charla
10-13-2011, 01:42 PM
TALLY
2 Handfuls of green beans
16 cucumbers
5 onions
2 peppers
2 canteloupe
4 ears of corn
Coriander seeds
1 zucchini
12 carrots

I checked my garden again today and harvested another handful of green beans and a dozen carrots. The broccoli is finally putting on heads and I'm going to have several green peppers soon. I also need to dig my onions. I'm so excited to be getting some things now that the temps are cooler.

Macky
10-15-2011, 12:12 PM
:tu