PDA

View Full Version : It's gone, all gone. :(

crunchymum
07-03-2011, 01:13 PM
We had a massive hailstorm the other night... It totally pummeled and destroyed our garden. :cry everything. One tomato plant has a couple tomatoes, still, I'm goin to see if it survives... But besides that...

i worked to hard on this darn garden! We only were able to eat some lettuce and radishes...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/mamamolly/8f9aba2a.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/mamamolly/922d8b91.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/mamamolly/3bf379b1.jpg

The hailstones... They were huge. We had a lot of damage to our siding, too, but I'm more upset about the garden. :giggle
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/mamamolly/0b79ffdc.jpg

ncsweetpea
07-03-2011, 01:17 PM
Plants have a determination to survive. I think some of it will come back. On the tomato plants, can you bury the stems more?

crunchymum
07-03-2011, 01:23 PM
Well, all the blossoms and leaves got striped off... you hunk they would still grow? It's hard to tell in the pic, but there was almost no leaves left except for that first plant. I thought it needed leaves to feed the plant?

We might try to get another tomato plant or two from home depot or something. And maybe try to start another cucumber plant. It's just so disheartening to see all our care go down the drain. :(

mamapotomus
07-03-2011, 01:39 PM
:hugheart That happened to my garden one year except it was my spring garden, so there were no squash or tomatoes planted yet. My sweet peas were almost completely gone, a few survived and I quickly re seeded and had plenty of pea that year. It was very angering and sad tho. I would try to find some mature-ish tomato and squash plants and plant them for a late harvest :hugheart

klpmommy
07-03-2011, 01:41 PM
:hug2 I'm so sorry.

Not the same, but our garden in MI was just starting to have a yield when we had to move. All that work and anticipation and we didn't get to enjoy it at all. :(

Earthmummy07
07-03-2011, 02:03 PM
I'm sorry your garden got ruined :hug2

Thankfulforgrace
07-03-2011, 02:12 PM
I'm so so sorry. I've had that happen a number of years and it's so frustrating. Sometimes the plants do come back so don't completely give up on them. But I understand how heartbreaking it is when all your hard work gets ruined. I'm so glad I'm not a farmer :shifty

Delaney
07-03-2011, 02:48 PM
I am so sorry.:hug2 I would be really bummed.:(
I hope you can get some to come back.

curlymopmom
07-03-2011, 02:50 PM
I'm so sorry. :( I would be heartbroken. We had a small hail storm the other night, and I was sad at the damage done to my garden. I can't imagine losing it all. MAJOR :hugheart to you!

jujubnme
07-03-2011, 03:00 PM
How disheartening! :bheart I'm so sorry. :hugheart:hugheart

ncsweetpea
07-03-2011, 04:13 PM
Well, all the blossoms and leaves got striped off... you hunk they would still grow? It's hard to tell in the pic, but there was almost no leaves left except for that first plant. I thought it needed leaves to feed the plant?

We might try to get another tomato plant or two from home depot or something. And maybe try to start another cucumber plant. It's just so disheartening to see all our care go down the drain. :(

if you look at the tomato stems and see the little tiny hairs, they will become roots. they can be planted very deep or even sideways like in a trench and a plant will still form :rockon

if you want to replace you should find some good clearance prices now. my dh got a 4 pk of medium sized tomato plants the other day for a buck.:clap

wish i could send you some replacement seedlings :heart

i bet there's a good sermon illustration somewhere in this...:scratch

ThreeKids
07-03-2011, 05:07 PM
The zuch might survive if the rest of the plant isn't as bad as what you showed.

If the tomatoes are an indeterminate variety, they might have a chance. I'm not sure if they form flowers all season or not, but, if they do, that would be hopeful.

You have lots of time to put some hot weather greens in.

Niphredil
07-03-2011, 05:52 PM
:hugheart

magpiedpiper
07-03-2011, 05:53 PM
I am so sorry. I would totally cry over that. :hugheart

Amber
07-04-2011, 12:53 AM
:hugheart That really stinks. Hopefully you will be able to salvage some of it.

crunchymum
07-04-2011, 08:25 AM
Which greens are hot weather greens?

Thanks for the hugs, everyone. :hearts

I ended up pulling out everything except my kale, one tomato plant, and scallions. The other plants were just too far gone... I was hoping to plant this weekend, but I may have to do it later in the week.

What are some other things I can plant this late in the season? (I'm in the Midwest, fwiw)

cobluegirl
07-04-2011, 09:42 AM
:hug2 this happened to me last year. Very frustrating...

ncsweetpea
07-04-2011, 06:54 PM
I think you could still get in a tomato or two for a later harvest. Eggplant would be good to start now if you can find plant starts. Asian long beans would be good to start from seeds. You could probably also get in some various squash...and a pumpkin! :)

ThreeKids
07-04-2011, 07:59 PM
Which greens are hot weather greens?

I kinda' forget. I just grab seed packets and read them.

I had a variety of spinach that was supposed to be hot weather, but it never germinated well.

If it were a little later in the year, you could get a round of cold weather greens in. Turnips, that sort of thing.

My beets are doing well in this weather. Beautiful greens on those. I don't even eat beats. I just like greens.

curlymopmom
07-08-2011, 09:33 PM
If you're like me (middle of Minnesota) - you could do plant for a fall crop of green beans and carrots. I will do that after the first harvest of those plants. The green beans like the cold, but you can still apparently get some yield from them later. Not sure if you should wait a bit yet then?