PDA

View Full Version : Cat issue...WWYD?

nutmeg
07-03-2011, 01:26 AM
Our cat gets mad if I leave him inside for too long a period of time. I work weekend nights and sleep all day. Today when I woke up I found he had peed in a shoe basket and defecated under the kitchen sink :mad. He has a perfectly good litter box to use, he just won't b/c he wants outside and I since I am asleep I can't let him out. It has been so hot out that I have been reluctant to let him out. I also have a bunch of neighbor boys that I don't trust to be nice to my cat if I am not immediately accessible to supervise. kwim? However, I can't tolerate a cat who won't use his litterbox! This is not the first time he has done this sort of thing it has been an ongoing problem for several months.
He is really otherwise a good cat. He is great with the baby and the kids. He rarely scratches and if he bites it is a light "i'm warning you' nip and then he runs off. Calliope was sitting on him the other day while he was laying on the floor and he just moved out of her way no big deal sort of attitude. :shrug3
I don't know what to do about him part of me wants to murder him and the other part wants to hug him!

Heather Micaela
07-03-2011, 01:41 AM
Is he neutered? If not he likely has wandlust and ...er...oats to sew. And I would have him fixed ASAP.

Second, do you clean the box DAILY? And do you have a second box?

Third, if it is clean and he is still not using it, I would not assume he is doing it to be mad at you. I would bring him to a vet to check for signs of illness.

Fourth I reccomen Feliway for calming his tense emotions. It is a diffuser you plug into the wall and it emits a scentless-to-us aroma of hormones that will calm an agitated cat.

---------- Post added at 01:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 AM ----------

ETA: clean the area with accidents that are happening with Nature's Miracle. Use it BEFORE any other cleaners. Then you may want to place either a litter box where he went (if the location is good for that) or food where it was (if it is not convenient).

mrsd
07-03-2011, 06:31 AM
Is there a way you can confine him in a room while you sleep with maybe a radio or TV on? Maybe the soundof music or human voices may calm him.

Bumblebee
07-03-2011, 06:53 AM
if he is an outdoor cat would you be comfortable with something like a pet door? it would enable him to come in and out of the house without depending on you.

kiloyd
07-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Can you shut him in the room with his litterbox while you sleep?

Is he neutered? How old is he?

How often is he normally allowed outside?

cheri
07-09-2011, 08:24 PM
It's not normal for a cat to not use the litter box. Usually either it's not clean enough (lots of cats like it spotless) or there's something physically going on with the cat. Especially with peeing, if the cat is not neutered, well there you go. But if it is, it could be a UTI, stones, kidney infection, or a bunch of other things.

I wouldn't assume that the cat is angry with you, either. Although I do know someone whose cat had to be on an anti-depressant of some sort, but it had more to do with being abused as a kitten and had nothing to do with the cat trying to 'get back' at its owner.