PDA

View Full Version : best clumping litter?

Heather Micaela
06-30-2011, 02:07 AM
What is the best litter in your opinion?

I know there are non clumping, but I like that I do not have to always change the litter every day and what is left when I change is is relatively clean. However I have cats who pee on the edge and then when I try to scoop up the clump, it breaks and the place smells like amonia :sick What litter is there that will clump well?

Or what is a cost effective, sanitary non clumping litter? I have 4 cats so I need to buy a lot on a regular basis.

domesticzookeeper
07-01-2011, 06:52 PM
We use wooden pellet horse bedding. Living where you do, I'm not sure how easy it would be to find :think But I'll put it out there anyway: this is the same concept as Feline Pine, only it works much better and it's waaaaaaay cheaper :shifty It costs us $6 for a 40 pound bag, and with four cats, one bag lasts us nearly two weeks.

The litter doesn't clump, but when it gets wet it turns to powder, so I am still able to scoop up the little 'pockets' of powdered litter and leave the clean litter in the box. I change out all of the litter a couple times a year. And I love that it smells like pine - never like ammonia.

made4more
07-01-2011, 07:00 PM
im pretty sure it was fresh step we always used. it has a nice fresh scent and when they cover their business it kinda goes through the air. it was nice. not super cheap, but not the most expensive either.

Heather Micaela
07-01-2011, 07:01 PM
We use wooden pellet horse bedding. Living where you do, I'm not sure how easy it would be to find :think But I'll put it out there anyway: this is the same concept as Feline Pine, only it works much better and it's waaaaaaay cheaper :shifty It costs us $6 for a 40 pound bag, and with four cats, one bag lasts us nearly two weeks.

The litter doesn't clump, but when it gets wet it turns to powder, so I am still able to scoop up the little 'pockets' of powdered litter and leave the clean litter in the box. I change out all of the litter a couple times a year. And I love that it smells like pine - never like ammonia.
hmmm...I could check a feed store. Believe it our not there are a few equestrian communites around the county that are not to far away, so that is a possiblity. I have to say it is something I never considered before.

Now JIC that is not doable...any other ideas from others?

Lily
07-01-2011, 07:44 PM
I like All Natural Litter Clean. It is the best one we've tried so far, but we've only found it at Sams. It is also one of the cheaper ones - $11 for 40 lbs.

Amber
07-01-2011, 09:08 PM
We use Dr Elsey's Precious Cat Litter. It clumps up great, is low in dust and on the cheaper end. A big plus for me is that it is the *only* litter my cat want's to use :rolleyes

Macky
07-02-2011, 12:22 AM
We've just recently converted to the pine litter... same sort that Emily mentioned above. I :heart this stuff. We will never go back to clay. Never. Poops scooped once or twice a day (we have five cats indoors) and every few days we sift out the sawdust and put it on our compost heap (pee is actually good for compost piles). After years of sending bag after bag of used clay litter to the landfill, I'm soooo happy to have a litter we can reclaim here at home! :rockon The smell - or lack thereof, really - is remarkable. Really.

The pellets we're getting are marketed primarily for pellet stoves, however the company has also had them approved for livestock bedding and pet litter. If you want to try them, make sure your source is approved for animals. There can be naturally-occuring oils, etc. in some types of wood used for stove pellets that are harmful, especially to cats. We're getting them for the same price as Emily - $6 per 40 lbs. :tu The price for the 40-lb bag from the pet store is $28. :jawdrop

Caveat: we've never done more than a short trial with clumping litter. We hate it with a passion. I can't help but wonder what it does to our cats' insides (they must ingest traces of it when they groom) considering how it turns practically into concrete in the box. :yuck ETA: We also have cats that love to dig zealously in their boxes, so they break up even the hardest clumps, which means they don't get completely removed each time and the box ends up stinking anyway.