PDA

View Full Version : Fun ideas for trellising on a chain link fence...

This Busy Mom
06-06-2011, 10:06 AM
There's a large fenced in area on the property I live on. I'm trying to make it look more attractive and provide more privacy. We did have a very large wild grape vine on one side of the fence. We took it down and planted 2 seedless grape vines. One section I planted 2 clematis and have sweet peas I'm going to try to sprout.

I am starting to think I want to keep going around the fence. I have plenty of area to work with. Half is full sun and half is partially shaded. What else can I grow on a chain link trellis :giggle? I'm thinking next spring, some snow peas and runner beans would be fun. If I have time this week... I might even clear out an area for the runner beans.

LadybugSam
06-06-2011, 10:10 AM
sunflowers grow quickly and would cover up a fense enough to give you some privacy.

If part of it is in the shade, i'm always fond of jasmine :heart

Auroras mom
06-06-2011, 10:12 AM
Some vining things we like: Passionflower for full sun (flowers and fruit and attract/host butterflies and hummingbirds, honeyscukle, jasmine

Macky
06-06-2011, 10:12 AM
Annuals or perennials? What zone are you in? (eta: zone 5, just checked the other thread ;))

I'd just fill the whole darn fence with pole beans because that's the way I roll. Honeysuckle is widely used around here for privacy.

RiverRock
06-06-2011, 10:19 AM
Honeysuckle and blue morning glory. It could take years to establish, but you can espalier pear or apple trees.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espalier

Macky
06-06-2011, 10:26 AM
It could take years to establish, but you can espalier pear or apple trees.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espalier

I've ALWAYS wanted to do that! Maybe I'll have time when we retire...

This Busy Mom
06-06-2011, 11:55 AM
Oh yeah. I'm Zone 5 :giggle .

I just found a pack of peas at my mom's, so right now peas it is :) .

I think there are passion flower varieties that are hardy to zone 5. Not sure.

Honeysuckle!! Yes!! thanks...

Espalier... ooooohhhhh.... :ty3 Something to work on in the future. I find gardening to be very... therapeutic. I have always wanted to build cold frames for winter veggies... but... that's another thread (and I want chicken tractors something fierce, lol).

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 PM ----------

Perennials mostly; and annuals that are pretty or we can eat :) .

This Busy Mom
06-07-2011, 10:28 PM
I've been eyeballing heirloom "climbing" roses. OSU is having a rose sale this weekend. If I wasn't already working I'd love to go :-/

AngelaVA
06-08-2011, 05:25 AM
I'm really fond of blue morning glories. They are annuals though.