PDA

View Full Version : I have an entire bag of onions

racheepoo
06-05-2011, 03:26 PM
:scratch Why, I don't know. I use onions a lot, but um, not that many. I don't like onion soup. Is there another entree that would allow me to use a lot of them in one fell swoop? Or maybe an onion soup that doesn't have great big strands of onions in it? :shifty

Can'tTurnLeft
06-05-2011, 03:28 PM
make a pot roast and put a couple of onions in the bottom.

But you can store them in cool dark closet in pantyhose for months at a time without them sprouting. Just knot the hose between each onion and cut off an onion as needed

Auroras mom
06-05-2011, 03:31 PM
Pot roast, as CTL suggested is great, or a stir fry could use a lot. Also, you can chop and freeze them.

Llee
06-05-2011, 03:38 PM
What she said. Any onion or pepper that makes its way into our house gets chopped up and frozen asap. Makes things much easier later on--omlettes are a breeze to put together now.

abbiroads
06-05-2011, 05:35 PM
I have a peanut butter chicken recipe that uses 3-4 onions. I'll type it if you want it.

Marsha
06-05-2011, 05:41 PM
I chop and freeze them. That way when you need chopped onions, you have them. Its AWESOME!

mommylove
06-05-2011, 05:41 PM
This (http://theconfusedhomemaker.com/2010/03/10/mujadara-lentils-rice-and-carmalized-onions/) recipe was recommended here earlier in the week. I haven't tried it, but it meets your criteria. :)

Ajani
06-06-2011, 09:27 AM
I always pickle a few for the summer (great on burgers, sausages and hot dogs, as well as on salads).

For a quart jar (one or two onions) I bring a cup of vinegar (red or white wine, cider or even rice) a pinch of salt and a cup of sugar to a boil to dissolve the sugar. I pack the halved and thinly sliced onions into the jar (sometimes with some peppercorns, a bay leaf or other spices) and pour over the hot liquid. It's great after a few days in the fridge and lasts indefinitely.

Proverbs31
06-06-2011, 09:34 AM
google Zwiebelkuchen recipes. :yum

Macky
06-06-2011, 09:39 AM
My chicken curry uses three, if I recall. Stews are great because the onions cook down and dissolve into the broth. Onions store for a long time, so I wouldn't make any special effort to use them up all at once. I second (third, whatev :giggle) the chopping and freezing idea. I'm going to do that with some of my onion crop in the fall (100 seedlings planted). I can't imagine not buying onions by the (Costco-sized) bag. :giggle They're in at least half of everything I cook, in some way or another. :tu

racheepoo
06-06-2011, 09:40 AM
There's just me and pill, and pill eats cheese :giggle a bag would probably last me 6-9 months unless I"m cooking for someone else :yes

nadezhda
06-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Are they sweet onions, like Vadalia or Walla Walla? If so, you can make an onion salad (I'll scrounge up the recipe in a minute). If not, how about creamed onions?

racheepoo
06-06-2011, 09:56 AM
They are just regular old yellow onions :shrug

Rabbit
06-06-2011, 09:57 AM
I can go through a whole onion or two every single day, all by myself. I am such a sucker for sauteed onions in particular. I pile them high on everything! Scrambled eggs, burgers, spaghetti. I've even made sandwiches with no more ingredients than sauteed onions and bread.

They're a fantastic extender for just about every meal, too. I learned to mince them fine so that they don't bother the children, and I really don't like long strings of boiled onions, either.

nadezhda
06-06-2011, 09:59 AM
Ok, then I won't post my onion salad deal. Rabbit has an awesome idea, though. You could caramelize a bunch of them & use them as garnish on everything. :shifty

Man, now I'm wanting some caramelized onions on steak or something...:yum

Auroras mom
06-06-2011, 09:59 AM
What Rabbit said! I was coming back to say that I love to slice up half an onion and saute it in olive oil or butter, w/ salt, pepper, and maybe garlic and eat it as a side dish to whatever I am having for lunch or dinner.

racheepoo
06-06-2011, 10:00 AM
I :heart sauteed onions as well. I think it's harder because I don't eat pasta or rice or anything, so it has to be pretty much some kind of soup or a really tender cut of meat :yes Do you freeze carmelized onions? I could do a bunch of them like that, then they are already done.

wisdomjourney
06-06-2011, 10:06 AM
I use lots of onions, too. :) one of the ways I get their goodness is by making stock... a light veggie stock will need two onions (among other yummies) and then you can freeze it for quick and healthy soups later. It can become anything! Just use in place of water in black bean soup, or pasta fagioli, or my very favorite: moosewood's flemish farm soup. I am on my phone now, but I'll try to post recipes later. (The best part of flemish farm soup is that it uses more onions, sauteed very low until they are almost completely melted. And the recipe recommends making croutons with slices of fench bread and cheese--so Pill can enjoy those with it!) :)

Rabbit
06-06-2011, 10:07 AM
Ooooh, I could about kill for a steak right now, smothered in onions and mushrooms.

I've never frozen them, but I never have left overs, either. I fill the skillet and then eat it like dessert any that are left over after the meal.

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 PM ----------

Last night I minced an entire onion and only needed a quarter of it for a particular stir fry quinoa. I threw the rest of the minced onion into the fridge, and will add to it to fry up for my eggs here in a minute.

nadezhda
06-06-2011, 10:09 AM
Ooooh, I could about kill for a steak right now, smothered in onions and mushrooms.

I've never frozen them, but I never have left overs, either. I fill the skillet and then eat it like dessert any that are left over after the meal.

I never have leftover caramelized onions, either. :no Moosewood recipes...:melting :hearts

Proverbs31
06-06-2011, 11:02 AM
The best salad dressing ever is diced (raw) onion, a little mustard, salt, pepper, white balsamic vinegar, and olive oil, all whisked together. :yum You could easily eat a whole onion yourself that way in a few days.

abbiroads
06-06-2011, 11:06 AM
I make condensed cream of soup with onions. I make a big batch and freeze it for recipes.

nadezhda
06-06-2011, 11:51 AM
Recipe, Abbi? :poke That sounds like what I need for after-the-baby's-born meals. :yes

BriansLovie
06-06-2011, 11:55 AM
can you freeze them?

abbiroads
06-06-2011, 12:02 PM
I use this recipe as an insperation:
http://southernfood.about.com/od/ingredientsubstitutions/r/bl90911a4.htm
I cook the onions in the fat, add salt/pepper and bullion. add flour and slowly add milk (like making gravy) until its still thickish then cool and freeze. I like to freeze it in my jumbo muffin tins before transfering to a ziploc bag so I have recipe sized portions.

JustMandy
06-06-2011, 12:11 PM
I do what Abbi does. And I want to eat with Rabbit from now on.

I have nothing to add except I read the thread title as "I have an entire bag of emotions" and couldnt' figure out how eating onions would make one emotional/unstable. :haha

Rabbit
06-06-2011, 12:14 PM
I got such a taste for onions from this thread I went and made myself three scrambled eggs, and heaped them over with this, all sauteed until golden and sweet and fabulous, all coarse chopped: half a jumbo onion, half a red bell pepper, a third a cup of cubed turkey breast (previously roasted). And then I topped the whole plate with a diced roma tomato, garlic, salt and pepper.

My tummy is full of happy.

JustMandy
06-06-2011, 12:15 PM
Y.U.M.

Proverbs31
06-06-2011, 12:18 PM
I got such a taste for onions from this thread I went and made myself three scrambled eggs, and heaped them over with this, all sauteed until golden and sweet and fabulous, all coarse chopped: half a jumbo onion, half a red bell pepper, a third a cup of cubed turkey breast (previously roasted). And then I topped the whole plate with a diced roma tomato, garlic, salt and pepper.

LALALA I CAN'T HEEEEEAR YOU :snooty

Aerynne
06-06-2011, 12:21 PM
My MIL makes this onion casserole that is AWESOME! You cut up and saute the onions in butter until they're just soft (not browned at all) and then add a white sauce to them, mix cracker crumbs and butter and put on top, then bake it for 20 minutes or so. Sooo sooo good!!

Prism
06-06-2011, 12:54 PM
Chop them up itty bitty bitty. lay them out on a baking dish and set your oven to 200 degrees. And put them in. Check on them and move them around regularly. In about 2 hours you'll have dried onion. You can leave them the way they are or put them in a grinder for onion powder. Store in spice jars. :) Perfect for flavoring ALL kinds of food! :D :D