PDA

View Full Version : Too late? and a grass?

mamapotomus
06-02-2011, 07:00 PM
So, I just moved into this house last weekend and didn't want to start any plants before moving because I just didn't want to deal with the hassle of moving plants around. Is it too late to start some summer veggies? I have some old seeds from a couple years ago, is there such a thing as seeds being too old to be planted? Most are unopened, I have zucchini, corn (not sure if I have room for that tho) green pole beans, cucumber, and yellow squash. I also have spinich, chinese cabbage, and romaine lettuce but I'm guess those would be better to plant in the fall. Would it be too late to get some tomato plants (already started and a decent size) and maybe plant in containers?

For the grass, the landlord recently seeded the front and its still growing in. I bought a sprinkler today as it looks like its going to need a bit of watering to really fill out. It needs to get pretty tall and think before the first cutting, is that correct? The back yard is all dirt as of now and I'd like to use a small portion of it for a veggie garden and plant grass in the rest, when and how is the best time to do seed for grass?

I'm in the deep south

mamapotomus
06-03-2011, 08:19 AM
:bump Anyone? Anyone?

Sandollar
06-03-2011, 08:27 AM
subbing cuz were moving and want to grow a couple things too :)

MomtoJGJ
06-03-2011, 08:54 AM
we are in NC, so not the south, but our stuff just really started growing in the last week. I would not think it would be too late.

I'd definitely let the grass fill in, but I don't think ithas to be tall and all that before you grow it.

Macky
06-03-2011, 10:40 AM
A couple of years isn't old for seeds if they've been stored properly. :)

"Too late" is relative to your climate. In my zone, it's too late to plant when the crop will not mature before the first fall frosts. In hotter zones, it's too late to plant some crops when they will not mature before the summer heat. As I don't live in a zone where extended periods of heat is a factor (we do get as hot as you do, but it still cools at night here, unlike the southern States), I have no advice really to give you. You need someone to comment who lives in a similar climate.

In our zone, it's too late to direct seed potatoes and pole beans. I still haven't put out all my pepper, tomato, pumpkin and gourd transplants. Many veggies could still be direct seeded here, but next week would be pushing it, if not too late already. We can get killing frosts in late August, though, so it's an entirely different world to garden in than you have.

ETA: I say this ALL the time, but I don't think many take the heed they should. ASK YOUR LOCAL GREENHOUSE. You'd be going there to buy tomato starts anyway, right.

mamapotomus
06-03-2011, 12:13 PM
I'd be going to wal mart for the tomato plants since I have a gift card.

Rabbit
06-03-2011, 12:22 PM
Set the mower to three inches, and mow weekly. :nak

mamapotomus
06-03-2011, 12:36 PM
Will a push mower be adjustible? I haven;t got one yet, but thats going to be all I can afford.

Rabbit
06-03-2011, 01:10 PM
I think so. I use a reel mower, so that I can handle all adjustments myself, and don't have to buy gas or oil for it.

Macky
06-03-2011, 01:18 PM
Will a push mower be adjustible? I haven;t got one yet, but thats going to be all I can afford.

Yes. Each wheel will have a tab that lets you raise and lower them in relation to the machine.

canadiyank
06-07-2011, 10:59 PM
Push mowers can be pretty spendy. I liked ours. It was free and then I freecycled it. They are adjustable.

I'd try the seeds and see what happens. I'm experimenting this year a bit since we're in a new house with a different microclimate and most of my old seeds came up just fine.