PDA

View Full Version : I need a recipe but I can't call her...

mommylobster
06-01-2011, 04:25 PM
I need a recipe from a family friend (she makes the best potato salad :yes) but I feel like I can't call her for it because its for DS's birthday and I haven't invited them :bag I want to invite them but we have to keep it simple for cost and because two of my nephews have special needs and its better it its a smaller group.

So can anyone help me out with a potato salad recipe? :o

I really like the one with sweet pickles in it :shrug

NeshamaMama
06-01-2011, 08:19 PM
I don't have any particularly great potato salad recipes, but I think you could get away with calling and just not mentioning what it's for. If she does happen to ask you could say something non-committal like "Oh, it was SO good last time you made it! I've been waiting to eat it again!" All likely true :shifty

Honestly though, if someone gave me the explanation you said above, about keeping it small for cost and consideration for others special needs I would be more than understanding and not think twice about it. :shrug I would make it easy on yourself and call for the recipe you know you love ;)

mommylobster
06-02-2011, 06:50 AM
Thank you for the encouragement :hug

Thinking about calling makes me so nervous :nails but that is a good idea to not tell her what it is for :think I'll think about it...

Wonder Woman
06-02-2011, 06:52 AM
I'd be flattered to be asked for a favorite recipe :heart It's the start of the summer season/picnics/etc - all she needs to know is that you love her recipe, think it's yummy, and want it for your family collection :yes

(and if you're up to it, and she's a close friend, offer to buy the ingredients, host lunch, and watch her make it. Then you get time w/her and she doesn't have to come to the party :tu)

klpmommy
I see no reason why you need to tell her what reason you want the recipe.

bec28
I was going to suggest the same thing. Or you could just say that it's for his birthday dinner and not mention the party. :shrug

BabyMonsterMommy
06-02-2011, 06:59 AM
Wh someone calls me for a recipe I generally just give it to them, not ask why they want it and why I'm not invited.

2 lbs cubed, unpeeled Yukon gold potatoes boiled in heavily salted water
8 eggs, hard boiled and chopped
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 handful of chives or garlic chives chopped
1/2 lb bacon, crisp and chopped
1 giant spoonful mayo
1 semi-giant spoonful sour cream (enough of both to make creamy)
Salt pepper to taste

Mix in a bowl, refrigerate at least 1 hr to let flavors blend.

I usually make it without chives or sour cream. Your preference!

mommylobster
06-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the recipe :) The only thing I will add to that is yellow mustard :yum

Well, I couldn't bring myself to call :( I hate that this kind of stuff gets me so anxious that I go into avoid mode but with the (good) stress of the party I decided not to call for the recipe :bag

Bah! Even without calling I am anxious :doh The next time we talk (which will probably be soon 'cause they'll call for his birthday) I know they will ask what we are doing for his b-day :nails I should have just invited them but now it's too late! :sigh

Wonder Woman
06-03-2011, 11:59 AM
it's one thing to stand in front of her, invite 5 other people, and ignore her. That would be rude :yes But it's perfectly ok, to say when she calls and asks, "we're doing a small family-only party because of my nephews. We'd love to get together with you on x day though!" :hug

Apple-Saucy
06-03-2011, 12:22 PM
2lbs peeled and boiled potatoes (1 inch cubes)
1-2 ribs celery chopped
1/2 medium onion chopped
1/4 cup relish
6 hard boiled eggs
Miracle Whip (yes...MIRACLE WHIP) spoon fulls at a time until creamy
1-2 TB Dijon mustard

Salt and pepper to taste.

Refrigerate overnight...add more MIRACLE WHIP :giggle if needed.

mommylobster
06-03-2011, 01:20 PM
"we're doing a small family-only party because of my nephews. We'd love to get together with you on x day though!" :hug

The only thing is that it is my family that is getting together and they are DH's just-like-family family so it makes it a little trickier :-/ I could suggest we get together though :think I'm just not sure when 'cause we live 2 hours a part. I'll think about that more.

2lbs peeled and boiled potatoes (1 inch cubes)
1-2 ribs celery chopped
1/2 medium onion chopped
1/4 cup relish
6 hard boiled eggs
Miracle Whip (yes...MIRACLE WHIP) spoon fulls at a time until creamy
1-2 TB Dijon mustard

Salt and pepper to taste.

Refrigerate overnight...add more MIRACLE WHIP :giggle if needed.

I don't have miracle whip in my fridge! :jawdrop :shifty or another one downstairs in case that one runs out :giggle

Thanks for the recipe!