PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Chai Latte (with natural sugar please)

Thankfulforgrace
05-30-2011, 10:11 AM
Anyone have success making this at home? I love starbucks but haven't even been successful at making it at home with the syrup and real milk (make in the day when I did real milk:giggle). Now it needs to be with rice milk which I think it makes it even harder to make it taste ok.

Anyone with a good recipe?

:ty

backtobasicsmum
05-30-2011, 10:12 AM
Ohhh..that sounds lovely today as it rains (again)....so just :popcorn for someone with a recipe!

Bonnie
05-30-2011, 10:17 AM
Not quite homemade :giggle but I buy the Oregon Chai concentrate at Target - they carry a lower sugar variety that's still artificial sweetener free :tu and make it with almond milk. :yum

Blue Savannah
05-30-2011, 10:21 AM
I buy organic chai teabags and brew it very strong--super strong. ;) Then add honey, extra ginger and milk.

I used to get a chai latte at a local coffee shop that used coconut milk. If you can't get the taste quite right with rice milk, you might give that a try.

Niphredil
05-30-2011, 10:24 AM
My recipes uses sucanat and honey. It's posted around here some where, I can dig it up if you like. :)

Thankfulforgrace
05-30-2011, 11:01 AM
My recipes uses sucanat and honey. It's posted around here some where, I can dig it up if you like. :)

Hmm, maybe with you name I could find it, I didn't find it on the search before posting. :)

Niphredil
05-30-2011, 11:26 AM
I found it! :) http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=405762&highlight=chai

everydaygrace
05-30-2011, 11:49 AM
Boil 4 cups water with:
3 cardamom pods
1 star anise (or 1 tsp fennel)
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp nutmeg pieces
1 tsp peppercorn
1 tsp fresh or dried Ginger root
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp coriander

Simmer for at least 20 minutes, up to an hour. Take off heat and Add 4 tbsp loose black tea. You do not want to boil the tea as it will be bitter. Steep for 10 minutes. Add 1 tbsp vanilla if desired. Add 1/2 cup honey. Strain through cheesecloth. You can also add tie all spices in cheesecloth at the beginning to avoid this step. Add 4 cups or milk. I usually just fill a mug half with chai and half with milk.

Pretty much everything in this recipe can be changed according to taste. I use less tea and less honey.

LadybugSam
05-30-2011, 12:01 PM
my favorite has been Bigelow Vanilla Chai Tea, made with soy milk (it makes it creamier, we buy soy milk JUST to make this tea) and a dash of cinnamon in it. Even better if you put a little bit of coconut oil on top (more authentic even) but it doesn't make or break it.