PDA

View Full Version : Reducing anxiety/panic

BeckaBlue
05-29-2011, 02:36 PM
Is there something i can use (otc, herbal or homeopathic) for anxiety/panic while pregnant?
I barely remember the last time its been so bad, or if it ever has been. I'm having multiple small attacks a day, and bigger ones a few times a week. I've not had many complete shutdowns/dissociation as a result, but there have still been some. :sigh
I believe a lot is situational, and I expect it will calm down a lot after johanna has her surgery and recovers well. then more still once the baby is here, but for now I need to have/do something.

gentlemommy
05-29-2011, 02:48 PM

BeckaBlue
05-29-2011, 03:01 PM
I did zoloft in the past when it was pretty bad. It didnt really help, and xh was so against it that i didnt even try anything else.

tempestjewel
05-29-2011, 05:41 PM
Have you tried Bach's Rescue Remedy? That sometimes take the edge off for me. I also take a liquid B-Vitamin Complex. My midwife who is also a ND recommended it to me when I was last pg. Also be sure you are getting plenty of DHA. All of these really helped me :hugheart

DancingWithElves
05-29-2011, 05:59 PM
cal mag
"gaba calm" google it, vitacost and luckyvitamin have it. it's a little $, but works well, and quickly.
oat straw and RRL infusions

:hugheart

is there a thread about the surgery? i missed it :( :pray

BeckaBlue
05-29-2011, 08:12 PM
I lost my post :(

I found the gaba calm for $10 for 120 tablets, i could get that now, i just want to confirm that it would be considered safe during pregnancy.
and rescue remedy on the same site for $5, the pastilles, is that acceptable, or should it be the liquid?

what is a rrl infusion? tea?

Jo has severe sleep apnea, and needs to have her tonsils removed. confirmed over 6mts ago but between our move and insurance lapsing and my fears related to it it's not been done yet. it cant keep being delayed though and i'm trying to get back "on the ball" to having it done :cry
(please nobody respond that it's a mild surgery or anything of the sort. my dd2 almost died as a result of this surgery so it is a HUGE deal to me. I know anything of the sort would be said in care, but it really is not something i can accept being told)

allisonintx
05-29-2011, 08:14 PM
Homeopathic Aconite or the Bach Remedy Mimulus are both good for anxiety when you can 'name' what your fear is.

Damselfly
05-29-2011, 08:49 PM
I second DWL's suggestion of oatstraw. It is an amazing herb and so helpful for emotional issues. Lemon balm is another herb that really helped me when I was feeling anxious and panicky. I like oatstraw as an infusion and lemon balm as a tea.

---------- Post added at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 PM ----------

what is a rrl infusion? tea?

RRL is red raspberry leaf. Infusion is similar to what people think of as a herbal tea. It usually means that it is steeped longer and possibly with more plant material. It is always covered while steeping. I steep my oatstraw for 4-8 hours, whereas my lemon balm tea only goes 5-10 minutes. Both are covered though.

DancingWithElves
05-29-2011, 09:55 PM
here's why i use gaba calm (also when preggo) and why i feel it's safe:

it only contains amino acids, and they are all in small amounts (b/c it does not take much when taking it sublingually) for instance, there's tyrosine in it. if taken as a regular supplement, it's common to take 500-1000 mg. GabaCalm only has 25 mg.

of course, only take it if you are 100% comfortable with it. :hugheart