PDA

View Full Version : I planted asparagus, now what?

charla
05-28-2011, 07:26 PM
I planted asparagus for the first time this year. Thankfully it is growing after planting it the wrong way the first time and even with digging it up and replanting it, I still don't think it's planted quite like I've seen in online tutorials. I know that we won't get any asparagus this year, however, it does have tiny asparagus shoots that have flowered (is that the word?) out into frondy-type things. Do I just leave them there? Are those seeds on the end of the frondy-things? I'm not sure if I planted them deep enough. The instructions said something about keeping adding dirt? What's your experience with that? What year would I start to see harvestable asparagus?

Kiara.I
05-28-2011, 07:46 PM
I think it depends on whether you planted "Year 1" seedlings or "Year 2" seedlings. You're supposed to be able to harvest in Year 3. So I'm told. :giggle I've been asking for an asparagus bed for...well, more than three years now. :doh

charla
05-28-2011, 07:49 PM
Year 2 so does that mean we could harvest next year?

Kiara.I
05-28-2011, 10:14 PM
:yes In theory. In practice, though, I've heard that it doesn't necessarily make a huge difference. I guess the shock of transplanting sets them back? :scratch I don't know.

Hopefully someone who actually *has* asparagus will chime in. ;)

Macky
05-28-2011, 10:17 PM
We've got two dozen plants that I started from seed, so I don't have experience planting crowns. I would personally wait this season and next and pick lightly in 2013, fully the next year. I'm a little conservative, though, when it comes to asparagus. I really want the plant to establish well. The general rule (afaik) is that each crown needs at least three fronds left to fern out and gather energy for the next season. I leave at least five or six. I suppose you could pick any year as soon as the crowns are producing more spears than they need to eventually fern out.

The frondy things are the ferns. Yes, leave them alone. :) When you're done harvesting (in future years), leave the remaining spears to fern out. This is when you fertilize and mulch. The crown spends the rest of the summer gathering the energy to produce next season. Leave the fronds alone right into the fall. They will turn golden yellow and then die back eventually. DO NOT remove them until they've died back. I leave them there all winter and clear away in the spring; it serves as winter protection in my zone.

I planted transplants, not crowns, so I can't help you with the depth thing. I remember digging down quite far, though. I only covered with a little dirt at first, then as the plants grew taller, I covered gradually with more dirt until the hole was full and level with the ground again. I don't think they mean to keep adding dirt to make a mound. Just plant your crowns as deeply as the package states and you should be fine. :)

This Busy Mom
06-07-2011, 08:53 PM
:) When you're done harvesting (in future years), leave the remaining spears to fern out. This is when you fertilize and mulch.

Just so it sticks in my brain... fertilize & mulch right after I'm done harvesting for the season?

What about the first year? I have some on the way... not sure if they are crowns or transplants.

Macky
06-07-2011, 09:27 PM
Yes, fertilize and mulch as soon as you've picked that last spear.

The point at which the roots of your transplants emerge from (ie. where the seed was, the roots went down and the sprout went up) is where the "crown" will form in time. Bury that point to the appropriate depth for your soil and climate. Fertilize at planting. I wouldn't mulch until it grows to the point where you're able to fill in the hole/trench to ground level and there's enough greenery above ground to allow for the depth of the mulch. That's me, though, and it's been a while since I planted mine. You might want to google the topic, too.

This Busy Mom
06-07-2011, 10:16 PM
That is what I was thinking, though. I started digging the trench today.

I got some pretty purple variety :D .