PDA

View Full Version : iPad app cost

jewelmcjem
05-25-2011, 04:58 PM
OK, so if I happened to mention that Apple has a 16gig iPad for $499, and DH got a gleam in his eyes like perhaps this is a possibility for my July birthday, what would I be spending in apps to make it worth using? Does it come with Safari for the web? Can you use Facebook like on a regular computer (does it play nice with Flash and Java?). Are the apps just like glorified iPod Touch apps, or are they more fleshed-out?

I really only use my laptop for the web, I do most word processing at work, so I don't think I need apps for that. What else would be good to have, and how much would I need to set back for apps?

inesperada
05-25-2011, 05:26 PM
It really depends on the app. I have a TON of free apps (kindle, netflix, cnn, weather channel, nook, ibooks, facebook, twitter......).

The majority of games have a free version so you can try it for free first - it's just usually only the first few levels. Sometimes that's enough.

Average for paid apps is probably $2-3 each. There are some that are way more, and many that are 99 cents. But I think the average 'general use' (ie not business) app is probably around there.

KatieMae
05-25-2011, 05:34 PM
AFAIK, the iOS does not support Adobe flash on any device, which is a major downer :yes2

Charlie U
05-25-2011, 06:00 PM
Absolutely no flash. However, Farmville, for example, has an app that allows you to play your farm on the iPad. There are also lots of games that I played through shockwave dot com that I have been able to play on my iPad as an app. Pretty close to the games.

The iPad specific apps can get pricey. I think I paid $6.99 for the last one I bought. :shifty But I usually play the apps over and over.

An absolute must have app is iheartradio. You can get it on the Touch, iirc. They have an iPad specific app that's awesome. You can stream any Clear Channel radio station in the country.

expatmom
05-25-2011, 06:02 PM
Where do you see this sale? :think

swimming with sharks
05-25-2011, 06:08 PM
:listen

jewelmcjem
05-26-2011, 05:21 AM
They're at the Apple Store online -- just the wi-fi version, NOT the 3G. I don't care about 3G, so it's perfect for me.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad?mco=MjI1OTE2NTk