PDA

View Full Version : Making freezer jam

KCMartha
05-24-2011, 07:41 PM
Last year we picked strawberries and made freezer jam. We squished up the berries with a potato masher and it worked fine.

This year I have a new shiny food processor. This is a stupid question, but I can use it to process the berries, right? I think I would just do it slowly because I do like some pieces (not totally smooth, in other words). Would that work?

DoulaClara
05-24-2011, 07:43 PM
:yes It would!

KCMartha
05-24-2011, 07:45 PM
It will be so quick! It kinda feels like cheating. :rockon

DoulaClara
05-24-2011, 07:49 PM
I love how quickly strawberry jam goes. I can't wait until strawberries are in season here!

KCMartha
05-24-2011, 09:10 PM
I'm drooling just thinking about it....nothing else compares!

---------- Post added at 11:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

OKay, I've been running about and trying to survey my supplies.

I have lots and lots of glass jars. Is it okay to use those for freezer jam? I'm only concerned because there's no heat to seal the ring. But we did use them last year and it worked fine....

Stiina
05-24-2011, 10:03 PM
Yep, use them! You don't need to be scared about sealing because germs don't multiply very fast when they are in the freezer!! So it would take aaaaaages for them to go bad.

I use ziplock-type plastic containers. :shrug

KCMartha
05-25-2011, 08:13 AM
Yep, use them! You don't need to be scared about sealing because germs don't multiply very fast when they are in the freezer!! So it would take aaaaaages for them to go bad.

I use ziplock-type plastic containers. :shrug

I have a bunch of the ball plastic containers and I love those too! Just trying to avoid buying a lot more if I can help it. However, when a glass jar falls out of the freezer on my foot, I do have to hop around and refrain from using foul language...somehow that never happens with the plastic ones...

Stiina
05-25-2011, 07:29 PM
:roll ...it happens to me with the platsic too though...when it happens with the plastic ones I still have to refrain from swearing because they always BREAK!!

KCMartha
05-26-2011, 06:21 AM
When I re-use other containers (like old yogurt containers) they always break, that's true. Then there is the requisite biting of my tongue....

ViolaMum
05-26-2011, 06:31 AM
This thread is reminding me of my grandmother - she makes the best strawberry freezer jam. Off to call her for the recipe . . . . . . . . . .

KCMartha
05-26-2011, 08:18 AM
This thread is reminding me of my grandmother - she makes the best strawberry freezer jam. Off to call her for the recipe . . . . . . . . . .

Oh, please share when you get it! I just used the one that came with the pectin last year, and it worked fine but grandma's recipe is always better! :heart

KCMartha
05-27-2011, 02:59 PM
Feeling very accomplished:

- my friend and I picked about 18 lbs of berries in 45 minutes
- from 11 to 3 we jammed it up and ended up with 39 jars of jam! :jawdrop

:rockon

ViolaMum
05-29-2011, 07:05 AM
Feeling very accomplished:

- my friend and I picked about 18 lbs of berries in 45 minutes
- from 11 to 3 we jammed it up and ended up with 39 jars of jam! :jawdrop

:rockon

You TOTALLY ROCK!!

I'm trying to get that recipe. If I don't post it soon, :poke me.

shaslove
06-23-2011, 09:56 PM
I love my food processor!! Seriously makes life so much easier!!!!