PDA

View Full Version : fiddleheads

andrea_r
05-20-2011, 01:47 PM
We had some for dinner tonight. :) What about you - ever have them? Ever HEARD of them?

would you eat them at all?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiddleheads

easygoinmomma
05-27-2011, 07:41 AM
I have never heard of them. How were they?

Marrae
05-27-2011, 08:12 AM
I had a 'Seascapes' magazine which had an article about fiddleheads and recipes and I was intrigued. Obviously, though, I have not tried them. :giggle So :popcorn.

Teribear
05-27-2011, 08:14 AM
I've heard of them but never tried them. I would given the chance though. How were they?

ArmsOfLove
05-27-2011, 08:21 AM
We've eaten them. Got them last year at Whole Foods, prepared them the way they told us to . . . . :sick They are a fern and it really really is like you're eating a houseplant :shifty

great homeschool experience; not a great meal :no

andrea_r
05-27-2011, 04:12 PM
They taste like asparagus to me. I smother them in butter. They're a bit strong I think. And stemmy. :D

They are a fern and it really really is like you're eating a houseplant

Were they tightly coiled? If not they get more "houseplanty" when looser. :D

Oh, and I only eat them once every few years. :) THAT is how they are. ;)

arelyn
05-27-2011, 04:21 PM
We like them but don't have any growing nearby at this apartment.

Macky
05-27-2011, 04:48 PM
I've eaten them as a child. :) I think asparagus is the closest comparison, like you say, Andrea. My dad made them from frozen, though... I've never tasted fresh. They don't grow wild around here or anything. I haven't found them in the grocery store for years. When we (someday) get the shady garden bed renovated, I already have plans to plant a couple dozen ostrich ferns (http://www.veseys.com/ca/en/store/springbulbs/ferns/ostrichfern1) in the area. They should be hardy to our zone with a little protection. :tu

Glad to hear someone else knows what fiddleheads are! :giggle I always get blank looks when I speak of them.

Pragmatist
05-27-2011, 04:51 PM
I've heard of them but couldn't have told you what they were.

RubySlippers
05-27-2011, 05:12 PM
Nope, hadn't heard of them. They sound like an expression of frustration, like "Fiddlesticks!" ;)
I've learned something new today. :glasses

believer
05-27-2011, 05:38 PM
i thought it was some sort of shark:blush

RosalieMarie
05-27-2011, 06:04 PM
I've never eaten them, but my family does. Thinking of them always makes me miss my grandfather. They were his favorite and he used to take me to pick them. :heart