PDA

View Full Version : How many asparagus crowns do I need?

WildOlive
05-20-2011, 12:05 PM
I have never grown asparagus and am having trouble finding info on what the yield per plant is. Also, is it only good fresh, or can you freeze it successfully?

Thankfulforgrace
05-20-2011, 01:30 PM
:popcorn

Macky
05-20-2011, 03:57 PM
Yield differs depending on the variety, the mix of male and female crowns you have and the soil/weather/nutrients supplied to them each year. That's probably why you're having trouble finding general guidelines. Find out what varieties are available to you for purchase, then find information on yield for that specific variety. I think you might have better success. :)

I can tell you what I have, for some sort of reference. I started seeds for Guelph Millennium in 2004 and planted them out in 2005. I think we started full-time picking in 2008. This is an all-male variety and we have 24 crowns for a family of four. I just did a nice picking today; haven't weighed them, but I estimate there are about four dozen nice, thick stalks from the single picking (also tossed an additional seven or eight, if I recall, out in the garden because they were too skinny). We can pick for six to eight weeks (ETA: I think I said five weeks in the other thread... obviously I don't pay attention very well, lol) and 24 crowns produce enough that we're absolutely sick of the stuff by the end of the season. :lol I freeze some for the winter and give a whole lot away, too.

Hope that helped!

ETA: Missed your last question there. Yes, you can freeze asparagus, but I'm not entirely happy with the results and I've tried different ways of cooking it from frozen, too. Nothing compares to fresh. I use the frozen asparagus really only in a couple of casseroles that I like to make; we don't tend to eat it on its own as a side except from fresh. Many people preserve asparagus by pickling instead of freezing and are always seem to be very happy with the results. Thats something I might try this year (must find tried-and-true recipe somewhere!).