PDA

View Full Version : Mason Jars for Wine?

LisaMarie
05-12-2011, 08:05 AM
I have a WHOLE lotta big mason jars (like 1 and 2L jars!) Can I use these for wine? I'm thinking of attempting dandelion wine for some fun and unique Christmas gifts. Since I already have these, it would save me a huge hassle and cost.

Think it's ok to use them?

cobluegirl
05-12-2011, 09:33 AM
try it and see ...I don't think a narrow mouthed jar is necessary..but never done it myself.

gardenfreshmama
05-24-2011, 07:22 AM
My mom makes wine... I can ask her next time I talk to her!

JessicaTX
05-24-2011, 07:29 AM
I think it's better to make it in a really big jug then pour it into the smaller jars so you don'thave the sediment in it. My gramma makes wine in those huge 5 gallon plastic water jugs, then pours it into mason jars to store it.

Iarwain
05-24-2011, 09:10 AM
I have used mason jars for storing wine after racking but I use a larger fermenter to brew it. You do want to keep them in a dark place because they don't have tinted glass.

LisaMarie
05-24-2011, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the feedback! I talked to the ladies at the winery here and she suggested I use regular bottles instead. I've been asking around for people to save some for me! We'll see.

My first go at dandelion wine ended up with molded petals and water, so I have to start over by picking more petals. :cry:giggle

We'll see! :)

Thanks.