PDA

View Full Version : need sausage/egg casserole recipe

kiloyd
04-30-2011, 09:15 AM
I'm making an egg casserole for church tomorrow.

Looking for a recipe with egg, sausage, and cheese. The ones i find online all have bread in the bottom, is that better?

Im using italian sausage too.

What do you have for me?

bec28
04-30-2011, 09:25 AM
I have a really good one, that uses bread. I think you need to make it the night before and then let it sit in the fridge overnight and bake in the morning. I'll come back with the recipe later since I'm putting ds down for a nap right now.

Kiara.I
04-30-2011, 09:49 AM
The bread will soak up some of the liquid from the other ingredients and sort of prevent it from becoming sloppy.

If you want something that *doesn't* have bread, you might have more success hunting for crustless quiche recipes.

Sandollar
04-30-2011, 09:57 AM
I have a recipe that uses cresent roll dough for a crust, is that better than bread? it uses ham but im sure you could sub sausage :shrug3 Its on the kraft recipe site , if youre interested

mamaKristin
04-30-2011, 09:58 AM
I do a crockpot casserole that is potato and egg-based, and can use sausage. Would that suit?

ETA: this is my go-to casserole for company visits and Christmas morning. You can totally play with the recipe to make it your own.
http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/08/crockpot-hash-brown-breakfast-casserole.html

tigerlily
04-30-2011, 09:58 AM
My sil has one with a hashbrown base...let me see if I can get a hold of her...

Sandollar
04-30-2011, 10:29 AM
hash brown base?! yumm!! that sounds awesome

graceandmercy
04-30-2011, 10:31 AM
Mine uses a pie crust. I can get it from mom if you want it.

kiloyd
04-30-2011, 01:10 PM
I need/want to bake this tonight. I have bread. Do not have crescent roll dough and don't want to buy it.

My plan was to bake it tonight and warm it in the morning before church. I want to put it in a 9X13 dish.

The one I found online says bread cubed on the bottom.

bec28
04-30-2011, 02:39 PM
Sorry that I forgot about this earlier :). This is my mil's recipe.

10 eggs
2 /4 C milk
1 1/2 teas. Ground mustard
1/2 teas. Salt
1 lb. Sausage, cooked and drained
2 C cubes white bread
1 1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese

Beat the eggs, milk, mustard and salt. Stir in sausage, bread and cheese. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove from fridge 30 min before baking. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30-40 min.

mariposa
04-30-2011, 04:15 PM
This is my go-to breakfast casserole. It's easy and people like it. I found it online after searching for breakfast casserole with no bread.

Simple Breakfast Casserole
6 eggs
1 cup milk
6 oz. cheddar cheese, grated
1 lb sausage or bacon, cooked and crumbled
4 hash brown patties, frozen (I've used organic shredded and they work)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard

1. Line an 8x8 baking dish with frozen hash browns.
2. Sprinkle hash browns with sausage or bacon.
3. Mix together eggs, milk, salt, pepper and dry mustard.
4. Pour egg mixture over meat and hash browns.
5. Top with grated cheddar cheese.
6. Refrigerate overnight.
7. Cook at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Makes 4-6 servings
Note: May also add a little onion for more flavor. (I've never tried adding onion).

ETA: I just read that you wanted to cook it tonight. Maybe this recipe will work for another time.

kiloyd
04-30-2011, 06:38 PM
the one I printed out is similar to this.

Mariposa, yours sounds good, I'll try that one for my family, or when I buy hash browns.

Sorry that I forgot about this earlier :). This is my mil's recipe.

10 eggs
2 /4 C milk
1 1/2 teas. Ground mustard
1/2 teas. Salt
1 lb. Sausage, cooked and drained
2 C cubes white bread
1 1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese

Beat the eggs, milk, mustard and salt. Stir in sausage, bread and cheese. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove from fridge 30 min before baking. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30-40 min.

---------- Post added at 01:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 AM ----------

bec28, does that say 2/4 cup milk? Is it supposed to say 2 and 1/4 cup milk?

The recipe I used was cubed bread on bottom, topped with sausage and cheese, then pour the milk/egg mixture on top.

Your recipe sounds easier all mixed together.

Since the recipes you gave me say refrigerate overnight, that is what I will do, just have to get it in the oven as soon as I get up.

Thank you! I'll let you know how it turns out.

bec28
05-01-2011, 05:11 AM
Yes, it should be 2 1/4 C milk. Sorry about that. I'm not so good at typing on my phone :)