PDA

View Full Version : I think I was nieve to how hard gardening really is.....

mom2chrisnluke
04-11-2011, 10:42 AM
I seriously had some crazy idea, I would put all these seeds in containers and the ground and they would just grow.....boy was I wrong, everything in my garden seems to have one problem or another and I am so uneducated on gardening that I don't know what is going on with them, so I will either lose most of the work I put in or never get much out. I am obviously NOT a gardener! I can't figure out if I am watering too much or too little or somewhere in between. I have no idea about fertilization or pruning......No green thumb here!!! Why is this so hard??

Auroras mom
04-11-2011, 12:16 PM
I am right there with ya. I have no clue what is going on and why most of my stuff looks like it is dying.

Mother of Sons
04-11-2011, 12:22 PM
That's what has happened to me every year I've tried too :(

3boysforme
04-11-2011, 12:24 PM
Me too. I am desperately trying to learn how to grow from seeds, and nothing is making it past the seedling stage :sigh

Macky
04-11-2011, 12:52 PM
:hug

So, what have you done to educate yourself on gardening? What resources are you using?

mom2chrisnluke
04-11-2011, 12:55 PM
I am so glad I am not alone!!! I hope I can figure this out...I truly starting to think you are either born with the ability to grow things or not.....cause I have read and studied and it has all left me confused and frustrated! I guess I will just keep my fingers crossed that SOMETHING will make it in my garden!

Macky
04-11-2011, 01:08 PM
Are you wanting to commiserate or are you looking for help?

AngelaVA
04-11-2011, 02:17 PM
I totally understand. The first couple years I lived in our house I thought I could do a vegetable garden, just hoe an area, put down some fertilizer and plant veggies. Yeah right...I got nothing, it all died. I read up on square foot gardening and tried my best to approximate it without spending $500 on materials the following year, that got me...a few tomatoes and zuchinni, probably I payed about $10 a tomato or something if you compare what I spent to what I got :-/ I think you either have to have a really good yard for gardening or spend a whole lot of time and work and money making it a good yard for gardening.

mamaKristin
04-11-2011, 02:28 PM
I love enjoying my garden produce, but after 4 years of gardening I have to admit that I don't enjoy the process. At all. I don't like dirt, bugs or weeding. :shrug My mom says that one day I'll learn to love it, but it hasn't happened yet.

That said, I've found that learning about what grows well in my area has helped a lot, as well as just plain learning what plants look like as they grow. That way I don't weed my peas right out of the ground...again. :doh

Macky
04-11-2011, 03:10 PM
... I've found that learning about what grows well in my area has helped a lot, as well as just plain learning what plants look like as they grow...

This is so, SO important. I think most new gardens fail because people are not considering their local advantages and limitations. You simply cannot garden the same way everywhere in every type of soil. You just can't.

mommymidwife
04-11-2011, 03:38 PM
This is exactly how I'm planning on gardening. Throw some seeds in tilled soil and it should grow, right? um.........

Macky
04-11-2011, 04:14 PM
The OP is gardening mostly in-the-bag and in containers, Christine (she posted pics a few weeks ago). Tilled ground is much more forgiving... don't be put off trying! :)

mom2chrisnluke
04-11-2011, 07:19 PM
Maybe in the ground is better, I looked at lot of container books and sites and they all made it sound so easy and perfect solution to not having to pull up a giant patch of grass. Containers seem to be much more difficult than I expected! Hoping all of you find a way to grow a producing garden!