PDA

View Full Version : The benefits and what you can do with dandelions thread

Thankfulforgrace
04-09-2011, 08:37 AM
Ok so we have:
eat them
put them in smoothies

Make a tincture (would love to know what the tincture does and how!)

Make wine-also would love to know how!

There is also making a tea, do you just soak the roots or is it something else. I've tried detox tea and I think this is what I'm tasting so I don't think I'm doing this anytime soon :giggle.

What else? :)

kwisie
04-09-2011, 08:41 AM
:popcorn

Aisling
04-09-2011, 08:56 AM
Tincture: dig up the tap root, scrub the dirt off, chop the root up, and place in a sterile glass jar. (I usually use quite a few dandelion roots, enough to cover the bottom of a large canning jar an inch or so deep). Cover with a cup or so of vodka, and shake a couple of times a day. The jar should be left in a dark place, and as the root is extracted, the vodka will become cloudy. I shook mine with the root in for about a month, and then strained them into dark tincture jars. :heart

It's good for kindney function/detox, as well as for bloating and edema from pregnancy or PMS.:D

JenLovie
04-09-2011, 12:37 PM
:popcorn or should it be :cup?

UltraMother
04-09-2011, 04:00 PM
dandelion fritters

and the seed heads are fabulous toys

momyshaver
04-09-2011, 04:02 PM
:nak2

Aisling
04-09-2011, 04:04 PM
dandelion fritters

and the seed heads are fabulous toys

Ohhhh, now you know that you're not allowed to utter the words "dandelion fritters" without posting a recipe! :mrgreen :yum

Annainprogress
04-10-2011, 12:22 PM
Well their name in French literally translates as "wee in bed" - good mild diuretic! Afaik the leaves work fine for that. I can't stand the taste of the leaves though even young.

I did once keep some roots intending to roast them (for coffee substitute) but never got round to it.

StrangeTraveller
04-10-2011, 02:37 PM
:popcorn

JustMandy
04-10-2011, 06:41 PM
Tea?? Coffee Sub??? Wine??? Why do we call these glorious flowers weeds?

I'm loving this thread!! :heart

allisonintx
04-10-2011, 06:42 PM
It's excellent for people whose livers are taxed, to detoxify the liver. Depending on the tincture it will act as more than a 'mild' diuretic. :shifty

Thankfulforgrace
04-10-2011, 06:45 PM
Tea?? Coffee Sub??? Wine??? Why do we call these glorious flowers weeds?

I'm loving this thread!! :heart

I don't know, if we just embraced them I'd have so much less work to do in the front yard :giggle

Plus they are so fun when you are a kid and you get to blow the seeds...

Damselfly
04-10-2011, 07:03 PM
I love dandelion leaf and root vinegar. It's highly nutritious and tastes delicious on salad or in beans or soup.