PDA

View Full Version : Calling all barrel composters!

Thankfulforgrace
04-09-2011, 07:56 AM
I have some questions if anyone has experience. :) Or we could just chat.

I guess my question is how long should it take to make compost? And does it hurt that I'm always adding in new stuff? That makes it take longer yes?

I've had the barrel a year now and I am seeing some black almost flakey stuff in with everything else so I do think it's working. It's hard for me to keep it moist enough and lately it's been too cold.... So I think it's slow but ok?

I'm wondering if it would be best to try to load it up right now and then get a second composter for new stuff? I'm only doing enclosed barrels as we have tons of voles and mice. Last time I did more open (and it wasn't even that open!!) they thought I was free Walmart for their housing needs. I'm so not into that kind of mess again!!

I am going to a worm composting class, it's next month-can't wait (oh I"m so weird :giggle)

canadiyank
04-10-2011, 02:33 PM
Well, my dad screens his and puts the uncomposted stuff back in, but that's too much work for me. As long as you keep adding more stuff in it doesn't seem to fully mature, but mine sure can hold a TON. I actually didn't empty it until I moved. Now it's fairly full and I'm just letting it mature...I do have another composter (black cube) I'm using meanwhile.

Thankfulforgrace
04-10-2011, 03:00 PM
Do you know how full they are suppose to be? I tried looking online for an answer and couldn't find one... I should get two...

canadiyank
04-10-2011, 07:44 PM
No idea! The first time I just kept filling it and filling it. This time I just filled it until I got tired of it and wanted it to ripen.