PDA

View Full Version : Re-using tea leaves?

solatido
03-08-2011, 10:13 PM
I have some looseleaf tea that my Dad got in China. He told me each bag of leaves can be reused three times, and in his opinion, they are best the second time around. I am wondering, though... how long can the wet leaves sit out between uses? I enjoy my tea, but not enough to drink three mugs in a row (maybe two). I don't want to be wasteful, but don't want to get sick either. Right now I err on the side of prudence and toss them after a few hours.

arelyn
03-08-2011, 11:30 PM
When our Cinese friend made us tea she used the leaves three times in fast succession. By the time we finished cup one cup two was ready. By the time we finished cup two cup three was almost steeped.

Rabbit
03-08-2011, 11:36 PM
Fast succession works. You get all the flavor, and only one dose of caffeine. I wouldn't try stretching that out over days. I compost tea leaves.

RubySlippers
03-08-2011, 11:43 PM
You can reuse high quality tea leaves. If the tea steeps bitter then they are overused. You would need to reuse in the same setting. If you hold over a day, the wet leaves will begin to rot or mold.

Macky
03-09-2011, 05:53 AM
I have no idea as I've never used loose tea, but couldn't the used bag be kept in the fridge for a day or two?