PDA

View Full Version : Oats

Abibigail
03-08-2011, 09:35 AM
Steel cut vs rolled... which is better and why? :)

mathematicalmessymamma
03-08-2011, 01:41 PM
Whole oats are best, then steel cut oats are better than rolled. I'm not sure why but whole oats have a lower glycemic index than rolled - I guess rolling them makes them a simpler to digest carb which can spike blood sugar. As a hypoglycemic/ gestastional-diabetic I can testify to that. As for nutritional value, I would guess there's not much difference. But I'm no expert. :)

Lady Grey
03-08-2011, 01:47 PM
Personally, I cannot stand the texture of steel cut oats. They seem to appeal to a lot of people who cannot stand regular oatmeal, which I really love. :shrug3

believer
03-08-2011, 01:55 PM
Personally, I cannot stand the texture of steel cut oats. They seem to appeal to a lot of people who cannot stand regular oatmeal, which I really love. :shrug3
that may be so. I don't really care for regular oatmeal, but I like steel cut oats better. :shrug3

musicmama
03-08-2011, 02:18 PM
I love regular oats :tu

Mama Calidad
03-08-2011, 02:28 PM

Funny you say that. I can not stand regular oatmeal (except in cookies :shifty), but I really like steel-cut oats. I can not stand the texture of regular oatmeal...or bananas. :no

musicmama
03-08-2011, 02:33 PM
mmmmmmmmmmmbananas
mmmmmmmmmmmmmavocados

Mama Calidad
03-08-2011, 02:34 PM
I'll only agree with the second. Bananas make me gag. :snooty

musicmama
03-08-2011, 02:36 PM
i'll eat your bananas

and your avocados.

Mama Calidad
03-08-2011, 02:39 PM
You come on down. I'll make up a big ol' batch of guacamole. We can share. :yum

....yeah, that warning in my siggy is for reals. :shifty

musicmama
03-08-2011, 02:40 PM
:yum

(glad i could help :lol)

Mama Calidad
03-08-2011, 02:41 PM
(you and MOTG may be enablers. :think)

Can'tTurnLeft
03-08-2011, 02:42 PM
Steel cut and long cooking rolled are pretty comprable nutritionally. Rolled oats that are quick cooking or instant are junk because they digest really quickly and spike ones blood sugar.

Steel cut are just a method of cutting. Nothing special about them. Rolled are steamed and flattened. They loose a little nutrition this way and digest easier.

mamaKristin
03-08-2011, 04:13 PM
I have both, and use them in different ways. How's that for dancing around the question? :shifty

I use steel cut for morning oatmeal (in the crockpot), and rolled for baking. :tu

FaithHopeLove
03-09-2011, 09:44 PM
I know steel cut are supposed to be better for you, but I tried them and couldn't stand them. We eat rolled oats here. The container doesn't say anything about reduced cooking time, but I have noticed it doesn't "stick" for me like other people say an oatmeal breakfast will, lasting them a long time. I feel better if I add chopped nuts to the oatmeal. Yummmmmm . . . (and cinnamon, cranberries, and raisins in small amounts).

When I tried steel cut, we never were able to finish the container and it went bad. :bag