PDA

View Full Version : Need to pass along info.

souporrfly
03-08-2011, 07:26 AM
I need your best suggestion for a book that explains GBD to a teacher/pastor's wife that grew up as a child of missionary parents. They are ttc and she is open to learning as much as she can about parenting. She was an elementary school teacher all over the globe prior to getting married to this military chaplain.
Please and Thank you,
:D

souporrfly
03-08-2011, 11:06 AM
??

nadezhda
03-08-2011, 11:17 AM
There's a list of GD books in the Gentle Discipline sticky. (Info & FAQs) :) I haven't read any (want to, just haven't purchased any yet & our library doesn't have much in the way of parenting books), so I can't give specific recommendations.

MudPies
03-08-2011, 12:12 PM
I'd say biblical parenting, raising our children, raising ourselves and how to talk so kids will listen and listen so kids will talk.:heart but that's 3, not 1 lol

NewCovenantMama
03-09-2011, 06:53 AM
Families Where Grace Is In Place by Jeff Van Vondervan (spelling??)

If she (or her dh) is transitioning from a punitive/controlling mindset, Loving Our Kids On Purpose by Danny Silk has a really good explanation of the theology behind a non-punitive/non-controlling approach.

What sort of missionary organisation did she grow up in? Was her elementary teaching with a missionary organisation? I ask bc some organisations may have influenced her thinking in certain ways, meaning that specific books/articles might be good for her.

There's a lovely GD summary here you could print out for her, if you think an article might help her. http://hippiehousewife.blogspot.com/2010/11/hows-of-discipline.html

souporrfly
03-10-2011, 07:53 PM
Not sure if her teaching was part of any mission work. They are not parents yet but want children and are actively ttc.
I have Jeff VanVondren and am taking her my copy on Sunday. I wanted a couple of references since he and Crystal are the only ones I have read so far:)
Thx ladies.