PDA

View Full Version : Overnight steel cut oats

allisonlindberg
03-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Does anyone have a good recipe for overnight steel cut oats?

I tried searching online and the ones I found did not get good reviews...

Marzipan
03-07-2011, 08:13 PM
I have one. But I have to find it. Bbl.

backtobasicsmum
03-07-2011, 08:18 PM
You should poke MamaKristin. She has a good overnight crockpot recipe on a blog, but I don't want to share it, as this is a public forum.

cbmk4
03-07-2011, 08:19 PM
Please tell us when you find one. Last tome mine turned out like wallpaper paste.

Heather R
03-07-2011, 08:29 PM
This is from the side of my steel cut oats package:
Bring 6 cups of water to a boil. Add 1.5 cups of steel cut oats. Boil for 1 minute. Cover and let cool. Refrigerate overnight. The next day, uncover the oats and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, or until oatmeal reaches the desired consistency.

I thought it turned out pretty good and not too glue-y.
Heather

Marzipan
03-07-2011, 08:51 PM
http://annkroeker.com/2008/03/25/overnight-crockpot-steel-cut-oatmeal/

Punkie
03-07-2011, 09:19 PM
Do you have Nourishing Traditions? The recipe in there for the soaked steel cut oats is my absolute favorite. I could eat it every day.

ashleyhuney
03-07-2011, 11:37 PM
http://annkroeker.com/2008/03/25/overnight-crockpot-steel-cut-oatmeal/

This is basically what I do (in fact, it's in my crockpot right now!) However I add unsweetened dried blueberries and spices and honey to the mix. It smells delicious in the morning, scoop it out nice and hot and add milk :) I was reading over that site and I see that she mentioned using foil to prevent the crockpot from cracking. Well, my crockpot cracked last week, that explains that! Next time I'll stick some foil in there!

luvinmama
03-08-2011, 12:11 AM
I eat steel cut oats almost daily...this is the recipe I use:

set crock pot on low function, warm up 10 minutes prior to adding ingredients
boil 5 cups of water
measure 1 cup of oats
pour boiling water and oats in pre-warmed crockpot
add in a pinch of salt
stir gently for a few seconds
cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours, or overnight.

Mine always turns out wonderful! I add in a little butter or coconut oil and dried dates. YUMM. This makes a good sized amount too, lasts DH and I all week long, usually. :)

everydaygrace
03-08-2011, 08:47 AM
I'm going to try these recipes too.

Soliloquy
03-08-2011, 08:57 AM
Put equal part oats and water in a pot. Add a tablespoon (or two, I don't measure) of yogurt, kefir, whey, apple cider vinegar, or lemon juice. Let sit at room temperature overnight. Then add another measure of water (same amount as you added the night before) and simmer until done, about 5 minutes.

This is a paraphrase of the Nourishing Traditions recipe punkie mentioned. It's fabulous and more digestable.

Can'tTurnLeft
03-08-2011, 09:04 AM
We eat this six days a week. One cup oats, three cups water, one cup milk. On low overnight. I usually add a handfull of dried chopped dates as well