PDA

View Full Version : can I sub baking powder for baking soda and cream of tartar?

TuneMyHeart
03-07-2011, 11:33 AM
if so, what would the equivalent be?

Here's (http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/snickerdoodle-cookie-recipe-and-red-ape-organic-cinnamon-giveaway) what I want to make. I have baking soda and cream of tartar, but my cream of tartar doesn't have ingredients listed and I'm afraid it has cornstarch. :nails

Niphredil
03-07-2011, 11:36 AM
I think so... once I was out of baking powder so i googled and found you could sub baking soda + c o t. idk why it wouldntt work in reverse. :shrug3

i'd google for you but i'm :nak2 mr handsy.

BlessedBlue
03-07-2011, 11:42 AM
:hug

What is the brand of your Cream of Tartar?

And yes, you can sub baking powder. You will need 3/4 tsp of baking powder - to adjust for the filler they put in baking powder to keep it from clumping.

knitlove
03-07-2011, 11:45 AM
my substitution book says that 1t baking powder = .5 t cream of tartar + .25 t baking soda

TuneMyHeart
03-07-2011, 11:48 AM
:hug

What is the brand of your Cream of Tartar?

And yes, you can sub baking powder. You will need 3/4 tsp of baking powder - to adjust for the filler they put in baking powder to keep it from clumping.

Kroger brand cream of tartar.

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

btw, my brain is a bit fuzzy thanks to sleep deprivation and a sick, screaming toddler, so I'm having trouble figuring out the math. :blush

BlessedBlue
03-07-2011, 11:58 AM
It's not going to be an exact substitution.

The baking powder ratio is 2:1:1 (2 parts COT, 1 part baking soda, 1 part filler)
The recipe calls for 1/4 tsp COT, 1/4 tsp baking soda.
1 tsp of baking powder contains 1/2 tsp COT, 1/4 baking soda, 1/4 filler.
:think
So if you use 1/2 tsp baking powder, you will have 1/4 tsp COT, and 1/8 tsp baking soda and filler.

So if you want to sub baking powder, use 1/2 tsp + 1/8 tsp baking soda.

FWIW, I would still have totally done the 3/4 tsp baking powder, and just not messed around with the baking soda. 'Cause I'm lazy like that. And they're just cookies. :shifty

I have found that cream of tartar is the only ingredient and not mixed with cornstarch when buying it as a single ingredient. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_bitartrate

mountainash
03-07-2011, 02:52 PM
Hain makes a corn-free baking powder that works really nicely.