PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas...

Amy
03-07-2011, 12:21 AM
For when we're at co-op. The biggest battle for me has been P.E. I happen to be on the schedule this semester to help out in his p.e. class but it has become a nightmare. I realized a couple of weeks ago that I really was too hard on him and last week I did lighten up a bit, but there are situations where he needs discipline and it becomes a huge battle of wills. For instance: the rule is no running to the p.e. building. He does anyway. No going to the water fountain or bathroom until the teacher tells you to, he'll go every 5 minutes. And standing in line to wait for the fountain is a nightmare. He bumps into the kid in front of him, won't keep his hands to himself and he wants to turn the fountain on for each child. When I try to pull him aside and make him hold my hand (for running) or sit out from a game because he refuses to follow my or the teachers directions, it escalates and he'll scream or act out even more.

Last week the teacher told another student she could take her shoes off because she had a hurt foot and ds wanted to do the same. When the teacher told him to put his shoes on, he refused and he lost several minutes of class time fighting with me over his shoes. Looking back I clearly see where saying "Are you going to put your shoes on or do I need to help you?" May have diffused the situation much quicker.

I'm thinking about taking tomorrow off from school and working on these issues with him. I need to do several things at the bank and that would make a good real life situation to put into practice how I want him to behave. I found that if I work with him at home first, real life situations go more smoothly. The morning assembly before co-op used to be a nightmare until I made him sit still (well, relatively still) in a chair for 15 minutes at home. Assembly last week went much smoother. He wasn't pushing around chairs, trying to talk to the people behind him, etc...

I guess what I'm needing are consequence ideas for when/if he screams and pitches a fit over having to follow directions at co-op or another public place?

---------- Post added at 07:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 AM ----------

Rereading my post also made me realize that I need to acknowledge and validate his feelings before correcting the behavior. I'll be working on that also in the morning.

FebFaith
03-07-2011, 01:10 AM
:hug2 Yikes, sounds frustrating.

:popcorn

Annainprogress
03-07-2011, 04:10 AM
:hug2

Do you re-phrase the "no running" rule as "walk to the PE building"? It really helps my two to reiterate "walk" if they start running when they're not meant to and doesn't put the word "running" into their heads.

I think the shoes one is tough. He probably didn't understand why there was a different rule for him than the girl. Did she continue playing with no shoes? If her foot was hurting then IMO it would have been more appropriate (& less confusing for other children) for the teacher to suggest she sat it out & maintain the "shoes while you're playing rule".

Beyond that, not sure how much I can help. My DD is similar (if she doesn't want to put shoes/coat etc on she will.not.do it). Sometimes offering a choice "these or these" rather than "put it on!" works but I guess that's hard to do in that situation.

MarynMunchkins
03-07-2011, 05:14 AM
I have to tell you that I'm :doh at the irony of not being able to run in a building meant for P.E. :giggle

Water fountains are pretty tempting when you're not used to them. My kids want to use one every time we walk by one. Can you take him a few minutes early and let him drink to his heart's content? Practicing waiting in line at home might help - and it might help several kids in the class to work on it there too. I know that our public school practices and hands out surprise rewards to kids who wait patiently in line.