PDA

View Full Version : Squash and melon question

AnotherNamedKate
03-02-2011, 07:32 PM
Hopefully someone with more experience than me can answer this question.

I've never actually attempted to grow squash, but now that we have more space in our new house, I planted some last week. I have kinda grown watermelon before, but not on purpose. Apparently watermelon loves our climate, because we were eating some at my parents house, spit seeds in the back yard, and later that summer we had more melon growing (true story... beautiful plants, totally on accident).

Anyway, so I bought two baby plants that were slightly larger than seedlings (one of each). They were those burpee kind with the pots that decompose (though I rip them away anyway because I find that they don't really break apart like they're supposed to). I'm probably adding way too much detail here... the real question is that both plants came with what looks like four to five different seedlings growing out of them. Now that their true leaves are starting to come out, I'm wondering if I should cut each plant down to just one "vine"? Or are they supposed to be like that (a couple of vines per plant)?

canadiyank
03-03-2011, 04:02 PM
I'd just let them grow all over, whatever's coming out. I suppose you could prune them but I never have. I've not had good luck with melons but my squash do well. I don't do anything to them, just plant seeds in the ground or let volunteers come up.

Macky
03-03-2011, 05:38 PM
Melons and squash are often grown in "hills" – three to five seeds planted in a mound of dirt. I wonder if this was the thinking behind whoever seeding the bedding plants you purchased. I'd have to see a picture of what your talking about to clearly say one way or another if you should pinch any out.

Don't be surprised if your transplants stall for a bit. Squash and melons have tender roots that don't like to be transplanted. If you have gentle hands, you can do it.

Smart job ripping those pots off. I hate them for the very same reason you stated.

I'm jealous that you can grow watermelon so easily. :pout