PDA

View Full Version : Bad Tasting Water. :(

LovinBeingMommy
03-01-2011, 02:49 PM
I have no idea where this belongs, so feel free to move it.

Our water is pretty icky all the time and we have a filter to make it drinkable. A couple of days ago, it got worse. First, it smelled (and tasted :yuck) very strongly of bleach. I had to stop drinking it for a while because of that. Now it just tastes gross. My mom's description is "it tastes like dirt!" Yeah... I agree with her. I can NOT drink our water, even from the filter. So, I'm living on milk and juice. I don't really even like either and would normally take water over anything else. Is there something I can do to the water to make it bearable? I've got to be drinking at least some! I get dehydrated easily enough without avoiding all water. I can't do much for what's actually in it, but if there's anything I can add to make it taste better, I'm willing to try it!

FaithHopeLove
03-05-2011, 02:10 AM
Bleach will off gas if you leave the water standing for a bit. I've had that happen too where all of a sudden the water will be so much more chlorinated that it hits me just coming out of the tap!

Does your filter need to be changed? Depending on what kind of filtering you have, do the lines need to be cleaned? Or the container? (I've noticed fridge filtering systems often taste off to me.)

Have you tried double filtering it?

Boiling it?

Making chilled herbal tea with it?

You can also buy these: http://www.amazon.com/Alkaline-pH-Booster-1-20-Ounces/dp/B001EBBKNU

Have you called your water district to find out what's going on?

You can also buy water testing kits.

HTH!

LovinBeingMommy
03-05-2011, 11:48 AM
I asked my mom about replacing the filter, but we have to order it. It's a thing that sits on the counter because our water is sooo bad it's not good to drink from the tap. We've talked to the water district several times. Basically, their answer is "plant's old, live with it." Ugh! Every night the bleach gets really strong like someone just dumped bleach into the water instead of doing it properly. I'm pretty sure we have test stuff because we have fish aquariums. I know our water is insanely hard (even algae doesn't grow in our fish tanks, much to the plaeco's dismay) and has a TON of iron in it.

mamacat
03-05-2011, 12:02 PM
When we were in NH we were actually told not to drink the tap water by thecity people.They had to put so much chlorine into then added something else that made for a bad combo evidently I agree the bleachiness is probably after a fresh batch of bleach.When we had city water and no filter we had a big 5 gallon container that we would fill up at the machine at our grocery store those differ too evidently and you can go online and read about the different companies and what kind of filtyration used and how often they change filters etc.

---------- Post added at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 PM ----------

Maybe you could do that until you can get a new filter? We have a faucet PUR and it is pretty good doesnt take out fluoride tho but good for most other things

mamaKristin
03-05-2011, 12:28 PM
We have a free standing cooler and 5 gallon jugs of water that we purchase locally. Our tap water is (IMO) not drinkable taste-wise, and the extra purified water we pick up is so worth the cost. I find that our town water is especially icky in winter, and is much more bleachy/chlorine smelling. I only drink water and black coffee, so when we're out, I add lemon to my water to be able to drink it.

Macky
03-06-2011, 11:00 AM
We buy drinking water, too... sooo worth it when your water tastes that horrible (we used to be on well water). $3 for a 5-gallon jug. :shrug

And if that's the answer you're getting from your water district, I wouldn't drink anything from the tap in that town ever again.