PDA

View Full Version : Another newbie knitting question

jujubnme
02-28-2011, 10:10 PM
So after knitting two (very short) scarves, I think I've got the knack of the knit/pearl stitches. I'd like to try something a little more interesting. I'm thinking of doing these placemats (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/alexas-sampler-placemats). The patterns look pretty straightforward, except that the yarn is held doubled throughout. How do you do that? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Lily
02-28-2011, 10:15 PM
It is actually easier than you think. I use two skeins because it's easier for me. I know there are 2 other ways to do it too 1. unwind a skein and rewind from the center of the yarn. 2. use one strand from the outside and one from the inside.

curlymopmom
03-01-2011, 06:49 AM
Those are neat! :rockon

I just hold the yarn from both ends (outside and inside) of the yarn when I had to do that. But if you're doing lots of the same color, I would just use two skeins.

jujubnme
03-01-2011, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the tips. That does seem pretty simple. These placemats are supposed to be 1 skein each, so using the two ends and rewinding might be best... However, I'm thinking of doing 6 - 2 each of three different colors - in which case, I would be using 2 skeins of each color. :think

Do you find it tricky to be knitting two strands of yarn at once? Are there other tips I should be aware of? Now to decide on what yarn to buy... Love the recommended brand, but it is $$$.

curlymopmom
03-01-2011, 04:56 PM
It wasn't tricky at all for me. As long as you remember that you'll be knitting through both and don't take each strand of yarn as its own stitch. Good luck! Make sure you post pics in the craft thread! :heart