PDA

View Full Version : Favorite bean centered meals

WanderingJuniper
02-28-2011, 12:07 PM
Please help! I finally can get my kids to eat beans but they have to be really good or really sneaky. :shifty

What are some of your favorite family approved bean dishes?

Right now one they will eat is Mexican bean casserole thanks to Bannanacake.:rockon

AngelaVA
02-28-2011, 12:20 PM
I need some more of these too. My kids like hummus, baked beans, and pinto beans and rice. All other bean meals they refuse.

Got a link of the mexican one? ;)

everydaygrace
03-01-2011, 12:42 AM
There was a thread just like this about a month ago. :yes

Here's the link: http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=394000
(http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=394000)

WildOlive
03-01-2011, 04:41 AM
My kids also love hummus. And we eat a fair amount of homemade nachos. I just spread the chips out on a cookie sheet, throw on some grated cheese, throw on most of a can of beans (drained) and then a bit more cheese on top to hold the beans in place, and broil for 3 or 4 minutes. Serve w/ salsa.

knitlove
03-01-2011, 06:45 AM
I have one and I need some more but my toddler is crawling on me.

Apple-Saucy
03-01-2011, 06:56 AM
Mexican Pizza

1 refrigerated pizza crust (or home made)
1 can fat free refried beans
1 cup salsa
whatever you would put on a taco
Shredded cheese

Prepare the crust, then mix the beans and salsa together and spread over cooked crust. Top with whatever ( we do taco meat, onions, peppers, black olives) sprinkle with cheese and put back in the over for 10ish minutes or until the cheese is completely melted. Cut into portions and top with lettuce tomato, pico de gallo sour cream what evs

jenn3514
03-01-2011, 07:03 AM
subbing

WanderingJuniper
03-01-2011, 07:01 PM
That pizza might work. :yes I wish Oh how I wish my kids would eat hummus. I love it and it is a staple in my lunches most weeks but the only one who will eat it is my oldest. :(

The mexican bean casserole is just a can of whatever beans I have on hand, 16 oz diced tomatoes, chili powder or taco seasoning (we make our own), diced up onions, frozen corn (optional) diced up bell pepper (optional) baked with corn bread on top until the bread it cooked through. For those who can in our house it gets topped with some cheddar and sour cream. Sometimes I skip the corn bread and serve over rice.

graciousmomma
03-02-2011, 10:45 AM
Black bean enchiladas are really yummy!

graciousmomma
03-04-2011, 06:49 PM
just thought of another one....sometimes I make spaghetti and use beans instead of hamburger. It's a quick easy meal.

eoconnel
03-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Complimentary Pie
3/4 cups raw brown rice
1 can kidney beans (any color)
1 T butter
2 cups diced onions
1 eggs beaten
1 cup milk
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 t salt
1 t basil
1/2 worcheshire sauce

1) Cook rice. Saute onions in butter until very soft and just golden. Set aside

2) Beat milk with eggs; stir in grated cheese, salt, basil and worcheshire sauce. Then fold in sauteed onions, beans and cooked rice

3) Turn mixture into oiled 10 in pie plate

4) Bake at 325 for 30-45 (typically closer to 45) until custard has set and edges are brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

Serve with green salad and crusty bread.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Black Beans and Rice
Two cans diced tomatoes with onion, celery and green pepper
one can black beans
season to taste
rice

Drain and rinse black bean and add to medium saucepan along with the tomatoes. Add spices to taste-I like Italian spices. If you are serving over rice prepare enough brown rice for that. You can also make this a soup by adding a 1 cup of water, 1 cup cooked brown rice. Top with sour cream

FaithHopeLove
03-05-2011, 02:02 AM
Our most common one is to cook black beans in water and taco seasoning until they make a nice thick sauce, and use that in a variety of Mexican dishes -- tacos, nachos, quesadillas, tortilla casserole, etc.

We also add them to black bean soup from Trader Joes, top with sour cream and serve with tortilla chips.

Bean burgers.

Add beans to soups.

I know lots of people who like Boston Baked Beans and Barbecue Beans or "Chili" made with beans, but I don't care for the flavors of those.

AngelaVA
03-14-2011, 05:12 AM
Remembering why I don't do more bean stuff now, it all goes with cheese and is super boring without

blessedwithboys
03-14-2011, 05:45 AM
We all (the kids especially) love black beans over brown rice with salsa. It's especially good with shredded sharp cheddar over it, but it's pretty good without too. It's my penny pincher/time saver meal so we don't always do the cheese part. I personally like sour cream on it too, if we have it. :yum

I usually use canned black beans in it, which is a little more $, but it makes it an easy go-to meal.

~yogamom~
03-14-2011, 06:33 AM
Remembering why I don't do more bean stuff now, it all goes with cheese and is super boring without

Yep. My kids will eat more bean dishes with Daiya cheese on top, but it totally blows the cost savings if that's the motivation for bean meals.

AmyDoll
03-14-2011, 06:59 AM
Black Beans with Avocado & Salsa are really yummy if you are dairy free.

WanderingJuniper
03-14-2011, 07:29 AM
This is where I get stuck too. My oldest cannot have a lot of cheese. She can tolerate a small amount of dairy now but not an actual serving size of cheese.:no Oddly enough she is the one who likes beans the most. :shrug3

Does anyone have a good black bean burger recipe? I love them but have only ever eaten the pre-made frozen ones and that is not cost effective at all.

AngelaVA
03-14-2011, 08:27 AM
Yep. My kids will eat more bean dishes with Daiya cheese on top, but it totally blows the cost savings if that's the motivation for bean meals.

yes cost savings and diaya cheese don't belong in the same sentence do they? ;)

My kids will eat plain beans and rice and hummus I suppose I should just be happy with that.

hopeforchange
03-14-2011, 08:29 AM
i LOVE green smoothie girl's chili recipe. i also like dr. mcdougall's chili recipe. i will be back with both later and any other bean recipes i can think of. we love beans here!

:nak2

passthemanna
03-14-2011, 08:45 AM
subbing :)

Teacher Mom
03-14-2011, 09:07 AM
:cup

knitlove
03-16-2011, 06:19 AM
I am making Cuban black bans and rice tomorrow I will get the recipe up here.

Beauty4Ashes
03-16-2011, 06:33 AM
I make black beans with brown rice and the kids top it with sour cream. Dh and I put it in a tortilla with tomatoes, cilantro, and green onions. I call it soccer night special. ;)

Mama Calidad
03-16-2011, 06:39 AM
Curried garbanzo beans are :yum

Enchiladas. I make a cheese sauce to top it with nutritional yeast. :yes

Lentils cooked with Manwich sauce (or homemade equivalent ;)).

WanderingJuniper
03-16-2011, 07:07 AM
Laura, could you post your Enchilada recipe? My kids like chicken enchiladas but I'm not making the connection in my head on how to switch out the chicken. Running off a medicated brain this morning. :bag

I think I am going to try the manwich lentil thing. I do it for myself often maybe I could sneak it. :think

i love curried carbanzo beans. Can't get my kids to eat curried anything. :banghead

Mama Calidad
03-16-2011, 07:14 AM
Instead of chicken, just put refried beans into the tortillas. I've used just plain ol' pintos before, too, but they tend to fall out. :giggle

Arrange the rolled tortillas in a pan. Top with cheese sauce:

1/2 stick margarine
1/4 cup flour.

Make a roux with that, then add:
2 cups-ish vegetable or chicken broth (or water or water and bullion...)
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
Season with cumin and some form of pepper. I like chipolte.

You'll have to adjust liquid to get sauce consistency. Pour that over the enchiladas. Then, pour on a can of green enchilada sauce. Bake.

Beauty4Ashes
03-16-2011, 09:08 AM
There's always garbanzo beans with cumin powder, lemon, and salt. In the Middle East, they call it beleela. Or, you can take the beleela and add yogurt, tahini, tomatoes, and parsley, like a salad. W/ my dc, we don't add the tomatoes and parsley, just the garbanzo beans, lemon juice, salt, tahini, and yogurt. They like it. :)

mommylove
03-16-2011, 10:30 AM

Is that a challenge? Huh? Huh? Don't make me give you bean recipes without cheese, 'cuz I'll do it.

:P~

Here are a couple. LMK if you want more.

Quinoa Stuffed Peppers (http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/10896). This is fabulous without cheese.
Lentil Enchiladas (http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Tasty-Lentil-Tacos). Use this recipe for the filling. Fill & roll tortillas. top with 1 or 1.5 cups enchilada sauce. Or you could top with a nutritional yeast 'cheese' sauce.
Falafe (http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/05/crockpot-falafel-recipe.html)l. Omit the yogurt sauce. It's also good with hummus.

filmgirl2911
03-16-2011, 11:59 AM
too yummy not to sub to this thread :yum

knitlove
03-21-2011, 10:40 AM
ok so the Cuban black beans and rice - this is based on the one that cook's illustrated did this month.
You cook these in a douch oven so that it can go both on the stove top and in the oven.
-Brine the beans over night - so 1c black beans 2c water 1.5t salt
-Drain the beans cook in broth with half a pepper (I use Pablo because we don't like bell) a whole onion cut in half, a whole head of garlic cut in half (leave the skin and roots on the onion and garlic it will help you get them out), two bay leaves simmer and a bit of salt until they are done.
-Pull out the pepper, onion, garlic, and bay leaves. Drain the beans keep the liquid and don't wash the pan you need it for the rice.
-Chop up the rest of the pepper and another whole one, a whole onion to about .25in peaces. Also chop but keep septate 5 cloves of garlic. Cut up 5 peaces of bacon in to small peaces.
-In the pan that you used to cook beans and have not washed cook bacon until it starts to get chrispie - this feels like it takes forever. Then add in the onion and peppers cook until onions are done. Add some cumin and mix. Then add the garlic cook until you can just smell the garlic. Add some oregano and a bit more salt.
-Add 1c rice (I use brown) and stir. Add the liquid you will need 1.5c. Add the beans on top. Turn up the heat until it starts to boil.
-Put the lid on and bake at 375 for an hour.

It is wonderful!