PDA

View Full Version : It clicked!!!

rjy9343
02-27-2011, 03:46 PM
I hope this is the right place, but here goes. This week, my best friend came down with her two kids (2 and 3.5) for a visit. While we were out and about, I put into practice so much of what I have learned with her 3.5 daughter. And you know what? It was great. I realized how much my mind set has shifted when she tried to run into a busy street. I grabbed her wrist and carried her the rest of the way. I was not angry or upset . (Well maybe a little when I thought about her getting hit by a car). But I never raised my voice or anything. I scooped her up and explained that because she decided to run away, she would be carried because we need her to be safe. She cried, but I kept telling her she needed to be safe and not hurt. It was not fun, but it never crossed my mind that she needed a spanking. When we got to the car, her mom and hugged her and told her we love her and want her safe. And then it was over. There were several other things that happened as well, but playful parenting worked wonders. My friend expected a melt down a couple of times, but when I made a game of something (like racing her to a point so that she would not see the ice cream machine), she had so much fun, she forgot to melt down.
Okay, I know many of you already do this, but it is huge for me. And it is so reassuring because the little girl acted a lot like my daughter did at her age. So it makes me think I can do this.

luvinmama
02-27-2011, 03:51 PM
Yay! So happy for you you! Thank you for sharing. I love hearing personal success stories. :heart:heart:heart

everydaygrace
02-28-2011, 11:58 PM
Awesome! I've had some Moments like that with my little bro lately. So cool!