PDA

View Full Version : I made soap last night!

TraceMama
02-26-2011, 08:36 AM
:yes

It was fun and easy peasy! My kind of crafting. :O All we did was melt glycerin and then add fragrance, color and put it in molds. :shrug3

Sandollar
02-26-2011, 09:14 AM
How cool !This sounds like something fun to do with the kids! Where did you find a recipe and what did you use for molds?

TraceMama
02-26-2011, 09:17 AM
A friend provided the recipe --- I can put it here later :yes She also provided molds and everything else. She has her own soap shop. :rockon

BarefootBetsy
02-26-2011, 09:47 AM
I want to do this someday!!!

:cup

Lily
02-26-2011, 09:52 AM
That is so neat! I remember making soap and candles with my mom when I was like 8. I would love to learn how.

jenjenn711
02-28-2011, 11:31 AM
That sounds fun. I've been thinking of trying to make the kind with lye, but we've got two little kids underfoot and I wouldn't feel comfortable dealing with those materials unless they were out of the house. I'm worried they'd get burned. But if you can make it by just melting glycerin we might have to try it!

TraceMama
02-28-2011, 04:13 PM
Here's what we did:

Ingredients:
Melt & pour glycerin soap base
Cosmetic grade fragrance oil
Cosmetic grade color gel (if desired)

Optional items:
Titanium dioxide (makes soap opaque)
lanthanol (makes more lather)
cosmetic grade glitter
oats, dried lavender buds, etc.

Tools:
Heat resistant molds (for soap-making use only)
Large Pyrex measuring pitcher
Heat resistant slotted spoon
hot pads
spray bottle of alcohol
vegetable oil
waxed or parchment paper

Making the soap:
1. Cut desired amount of soap base and melt slowly in microwave (1 min intervals until melted) or in double boiler, stirring occasionally
2. Add a few drops of cosmetic grade fragrance oil & stir with slotted spoon to mix thoroughly
3. Add soap gel coloring a drop at a time & mix until desired color is achieved
4. If using additives, slowly stir them in now.
5. Carefully pour soap into molds that have been lightly greased with vegetable oil. Once soap is poured, spray surface with alcohol to minimize bubbles.
6. Allow soap to harden for several hours, then flip mold upside down and carefully remove.
7. Store soap in a cool, dry place wrapped in waxed or parchment paper or sealed container.

liamum
02-28-2011, 06:11 PM
That is so cool!