PDA

View Full Version : what's the best fabric for cloth napkins?

crunchymum
02-23-2011, 11:10 AM
? i have lots of mis-matched cloth napkins, and at some point i think i'd like to sew some that match. :)

what kind of fabric works well? i know 100% cotton... but that varies so much. some of my napkins just feel so nice and absorbent, and others are just kind of meh. suggestions?

Blue Savannah
02-23-2011, 11:40 AM
I LOVE using quilter's flannel.

ViolaMum
02-23-2011, 11:40 AM
Medium weight linen is really nice, but expensive. And you have to wash it several times to soften it up, but after that, it's lovely!

I'm making some now out of quilting cotton, but that's more to use up the fabric in my stash (because it's the right colors) than that it's the right fabric. It's a little lightweight for napkins so I'm not expecting to get years and years of use out of them.

WanderingJuniper
02-23-2011, 11:44 AM
I LOVE using quilter's flannel.
Ooh that's good to know. I was thinking about that this morning when I threw yet another napkin out for ripping in half.

gardenfreshmama
02-27-2011, 06:36 PM
I like flannel, too! :tu I can't stand wiping my mouth with cotton or linen, something about the texture :shiver

Kernigemom
02-27-2011, 07:26 PM
My favorite is hemp or a hemp/ramie blend because it is so very absorbent. I can't stand water repellant napkins like you get at restaurants sometimes (polyester, I'm guessing). But flannel sounds nice, too.

ViolaMum
03-31-2011, 04:36 PM
So . . . . . . . . . I was inspired by this thread to make flannel napkins. :yes

I just got home from the fabric store with not only flannel, but micro-terry! It's a little heavier than baby washcloths and a little lighter than baby towels. I think these are going to be awesome! I'm planning on just serging the edges - I'll experiment with a rolled hem and contrasting threads.

mwwr
03-31-2011, 04:39 PM
My mom swore that quilting fabric made the best napkins, didn't have to be ironed, and his stains as a bonus.

Marielle
03-31-2011, 07:03 PM
I like double sided - flannel on one and quilter's cottons on the other. I find they also come out of the dryer less crumpled than one layer napkins since they're a bit more substantial.

ViolaMum
03-31-2011, 07:31 PM
I like double sided - flannel on one and quilter's cottons on the other. I find they also come out of the dryer less crumpled than one layer napkins since they're a bit more substantial.

I was thinking of doing that. Most of the napkins I have need to be ironed because they wrinkle horribly at the hems (like accordion folds). I was thinking that two layers (turned and topstitched) would be a little more easy-care. Does that sound reasonable?

Marielle
03-31-2011, 08:01 PM
You could do it turned and topstitched. I was lazy and did a rolled hem on the serger with sharp corners. But turned and topstitched would give a thicker stabilized border so they stay flat more in the wash/dry.