PDA

View Full Version : Quinoa

JoyGal
02-21-2011, 06:45 PM
What are some of your favorite ways of preparing it?

I'm making it for the first time tonight. The only veggies I have to add to it are carrots and brocolli. It seems most of the recipes I seem to find have veggies in them. What spices do you like to add?

I'm serving it with lemon pepper chicken if that helps for ideas :)

Lantern Light Mama
02-21-2011, 06:48 PM
I put everything in quinoa. Tonight I am making it with onion, bell pepper, and carrots. I am roasting a fennel bulb to cook with it another night to have with chicken, and usually I will add lemon juice, olive oil, and spices to it for flavor. I plan to stuff some bell peppers with it. I hate rice so it is really my non grain (seed, whatever it is) of choice for starch. It goes very well with asparagus too. I have seen recipes for it in soups, smoothies, and nearly everything imaginable.

Kiara.I
02-21-2011, 06:49 PM
I don't usually put anything in with it, I treat it kind of like rice. (Well, I'll put salt in, or maybe some seasonings, but not vegetables or anything. :shrug)

JoyGal
02-21-2011, 06:58 PM
Great thanks!

Wat kind of spices do you like to put in?

Serafine
02-21-2011, 06:59 PM
It is great with black beans (drained), avocado, nuts, and cilantro. Toss with olive oil, lime juice, and cumin, salt, pepper.

Sweet potatoes or butternut squash roasted, dried cranberries, baby spinach (raw), almonds, and oil/vinegar.

For breakfast: use coconut milk from a can instead of broth/water. Mix in whatever toppings you like. Nuts, fruit, syrup...

For recipes for quanta and other awesome stuff...check out:

Glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com
Glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com

Lantern Light Mama
02-21-2011, 07:00 PM
literally anything you have. I have also made it for breakfast too with maple syrup. yummmm.

JoyGal
02-21-2011, 07:08 PM
Thank you so much ladies :D

heartofjoy
02-21-2011, 07:21 PM
I make a three-bean salad with celery, red onion, parsley, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. This salad is good by itself, but toss in some quinoa and it's fabulous.

Leen
02-21-2011, 09:25 PM
We had it tonight tossed with some sauteed minced red onion and sauteed sliced mushrooms, with some scallions thrown in the pan at the last minute just so they wilt, and a little salt and parsley on top. Mmmm. Super delicious!

I've also made it similar to Serafine's first recipe: a kind of mexican salad. Jalapeno, chopped onion, a little ACV, olive oil, cumin, and lime juice, tossed with quinoa, corn, black beans, avocado, scallions, and halved grape tomatoes.

Another favorite is to mix it with some cubed, steamed until just tender sweet potato, and then add in several heads of roasted garlic and some butter. When I did it, I steamed about 6 smallish sweet potatoes that I'd cubed into 1-2 inch pieces (around 2 pounds) and roasted about 7-8 heads of garlic, then squeezed the garlic out of the skin and smashed it into about 3-4 tbsp butter, then tossed it all together and added salt and a little parmesan cheese.

I :heart quinoa!