PDA

View Full Version : Hummus fail - help me out!

KCMartha
02-20-2011, 11:14 AM
Okay, I bought dried garbanzo beans. I had a grand scheme to cook them up and make it into tasty, frugal homemade hummus. About a week ago I soaked them. All week I didn't have time to cook them but yesterday I got them cooking. The package said they would take 2 hours to cook. I kept checking and re-checking and they never fully cooked - I left them on the stove for about 5 hours. Towards the end I mashed them up a little to see if it would help - nothing. I kept adding water as they absorbed it.

Any ideas for me? I'd really like for this to work.

AngelaVA
02-20-2011, 11:22 AM
I think you got stuck with old beans :blue Did the package have an expiration date at all? This has happened to me before and I was so frustrated...it's toooo much work and mess to be wasted. :mad

BHope
02-20-2011, 11:27 AM
I'm voting for old beans as well. I had the same thing happen to me with plain old black beans. :giggle

KCMartha
02-20-2011, 06:33 PM
Yeah, old beans was my bet too. It makes me sooo mad! I don't have the package anymore to check the expiration date. I wish I knew where to get them where they were "fresh" - it's so much cheaper than the canned beans!

AngelaVA
02-20-2011, 06:51 PM
I found that stores like Walmart and Target their beans are usually old. I've done well with the ones from the natural foods sections in Wegman's or from Whole Foods. A couple times I've gotten them at Food Lion and those have come out well too.