PDA

View Full Version : Buying my books! Help me finalize my list.

everydaygrace
02-17-2011, 11:06 AM
So, with some of our tax return $$ I am buying some GBD books. I have a limited budget to do so, like $50, so I figure that's probably 4 books. My priorities are 1) It's one of the first 4 books I should be reading re: Gentle Discipline. and 2) Can't be found at my local library.

I have been writing down every single title I come across on this list for the last few months, and I've got quite a list. I want to know what you think are the four BEST books for someone who is just starting out in GBD. Keep in mind that we have only one child, and he is 8 months old.

Here's what I'm already thinking:

1) Biblical Parenting
2) Families Where Grace is in Place
3) How to Really Love Your Child
4) The Mission of Motherhood

This is keeping in mind that I can get the following from the library:

1) Keys to Being a Father
2) Playful Parenting
3) Ames & Ilg books
4) The Discipline Book
5) Maybe some others, I will update when I find my ipod that the list is on.

What do you think?

Sparrow
02-17-2011, 11:40 AM
I like your list! Personally, I'd buy The Discipline Book. It is so full of ideas for all ages and stages that I would like to have it on hand (speaking from a "I read it when I borrowed it")

Turtle Herder
02-17-2011, 11:51 AM
I like your list! Personally, I'd buy The Discipline Book. It is so full of ideas for all ages and stages that I would like to have it on hand (speaking from a "I read it when I borrowed it")

I agree :yes

everydaygrace
02-17-2011, 06:22 PM
Anyone else?

Tee
02-18-2011, 02:15 PM
I have only one child so far...I loved How to Talk so your kids will listen and how to listen so your kids will talk. It definitely helped shift my thinking and there are TONS of examples in it.

Katigre
02-18-2011, 05:35 PM
The Ministry of Motherhood was inspiring for me :heart. There was one chapter on Grace that really touched me. The rest of the ideas were more inspiration for when my children were older vs. practical for things with little ones, but still great.

I also highly recommend Nurture by Nature (http://www.amazon.com/Nurture-Nature-Responsible-Children-Personality/dp/0316845132/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298075743&sr=8-1) - invaluable for undestanding your children's unique personality and figuring out how to parent that successfully.

luvinmama
02-18-2011, 09:04 PM
I'd strongly recommend buying The Discipline Book, too. It's a wealth of info, but one of my go-to books ALL.THE.TIME for our 2.5 y/o DD.

I also love and own Nurture by Nature, and am just now gleaning from it...

If your son is at all "highly sensitive" or "spirited", I'd also buy The Highly Sensitive Child or Raising Your Spirited Child.

I own and love Mission for Motherhood. Sally is very inspiring. It's not quite for little babies though...I loved the practical stuff for older kids, though. If you're needing some "inspiration" mom book or what have you, buy her book....but it's not a "how to" guide really.

I own How To Really Love Your Child, but haven't read it yet. Same with Biblical Parenting.

Playful Parenting is another great resource book for me that I own...I haven't read it all though.

You MUST read and own Families Where Grace Is In Place. After I read it, I didn't feel like I needed anymore info. It is just that good.

Ok...sorry for the novel. I love to read and learn, hence my book collection. :)

Also, can you visit any thrift stores in your area or check out amazon.com or other used bookstores? It seems that $50 for 4 books is steep. We have an amazing $1 bookstore where I find a lot of my books....:heart

everydaygrace
02-20-2011, 10:39 PM
Thanks, everyone, for your help! I went ahead and ordered the four I listed along with The Discipline Book, since so many of you suggested it. I will put your other suggestions on the top of my "when I have the funds" book list.

My books will be here tomorrow and I'm so excited. (which one to read first?):think

Codi
02-20-2011, 10:42 PM
Yeah, youre dc isn't even 1 yet. I'd say How to Talk So Kids WIll Listen..... is a must, but can wait a bit longer for you. ;) I like what you ordered. Pick one at random or whatever one speaks to you first. :heart

everydaygrace
02-21-2011, 07:35 AM
They will be here today! That was fast! I used my sisters amazon prime account for 2 day shipping but I thought I would be tomorrow because of presidents day. Nope! Fedex ships on today, FYI.