PDA

View Full Version : Tea drinkers?

Mother of Sons
02-16-2011, 08:16 PM
What kind do you love and how do you prepare it? I've been trying various teas (cold only, I can't drink hot stuff ). And they are ok but they all taste so watered down and blah. I can drink them but I don't really love it Kwim?

I'm looking for healthy but I'd like tasty too lol. I'm only using honey as a sweetener.

mum2abby
02-16-2011, 08:19 PM
:cup
I need to be healthier....so I am gonna follow this. I am a sweet tea addict lol.

Psyche
02-16-2011, 08:21 PM
Are you brewing them cold or hot? How long are you letting it steep? I like Harney and Son's Hot Cinnamon Spice or African Autumn.

mum2abby
02-16-2011, 08:23 PM
Is there a way to brew any tea in the sun...or is that a special kind. Someone just mentioned sun tea to me.

hopeforchange
02-16-2011, 08:25 PM
:popcorn

3boysforme
02-16-2011, 08:33 PM
I love Chai tea, it is my definite favorite especially with honey and it is good hot or cold.

I also really like fruit infused white teas (there is one at Teavanna (sp?) that is called Queen of Babylon, it is so so good). They are really good cold and you don't really need a sweetener for them.

I haven't really tried any health teas, mostly because I can't afford them :shifty. I had to walk away from the tea aisle at Whole Foods because I could have easily spent $100!!

Afa making it, I am roughing it and do not have a tea pot. So I usually will boil water in a pot and let the tea steep. Right now I am using bagged tea because I also do not have a diffuser, but loose tea in a diffuser will give a more in depth flavor.

mum2abby
02-16-2011, 08:37 PM
Where do you get your chai and how do you make it?

DancingWithElves
02-16-2011, 08:42 PM
there isn't a yogi tea that i won't do a jig for :dance :jump :grin

but dh does not love ones with licorice, and many of the yogi have it.

I love trader Joe's night-time and Irish breakfast.

But really, I'm a tea lover :heart so, somewhat easy to please with *proper* tea :)

I also drink infusions for nutrition, so you may want to look into that :think Google "susun weed, infusions" :)

4MKfam
02-16-2011, 08:46 PM
If you are a black licorice/anise fan, you might want to try Stash Tea's Licorice Spice. Haven't tried it cold, but it's one of the few teas I really enjoy without sweetener.

Another favorite that I have tried cold (and it is AWESOME brewed as sun tea :tu) is Good Earth original tea. They have a decaf version of the original as well -the original formulation has some black tea, and therefore, some caffeine.

Ethereal
02-16-2011, 08:47 PM
I drink Green Tea, 100% japanese tea leaves from Japan. I make it in a japanese teapot. Yes, I'm a Japanophile :D

PrincessAnika
02-16-2011, 08:56 PM
my sister turned dh onto chilled white tea: i think its the island mango and peach flavor from lipton. boil 4c water, add 5 teabags, let steep for 10min, add 1/4c sugar, pour in jug. add 4-6c water (cold cool room temp whatever), a few squeezes of honey, and chill. i edited it to use 6 teabags, and add 8c water to the jug.
personally - i like the bigelow plantation mint (just not while nursing!!) tea, hot or cold. i steep it hot, 5min or so, 1 bag per 2c-ish water, and add either a bit of sugar or honey. either drink it then, or chill and drink when cold.
during the summer we love meadow tea - boil ~3qt water, throw in a handful of washed mint (plant - leaves or leaves and stems) and let sit for an hr. remove mint leaves/stems, pour into gallon jug with ~1/2c sugar (or sweeten to taste) and fill with water, then chill before serving. this is the only thing i could drink with my first pg....

Mother of Sons
02-16-2011, 09:00 PM
I don't have a teapot either so Ive just been boiling or near boiling water and the pouring it over the tea bags. I usually use a few because I boil about 16 or so ounces. Then while it is still warm I add a spoonful of honey and stir and hen I put it in he fridge to cool. Sometimes I add another 16 ounces of cold water because that's what the directions say. I let it steep around 6 minutes.

3boysforme
02-16-2011, 09:10 PM
Where do you get your chai and how do you make it?

I usually use the Tazo organic chai, just because it's cheap and easy to get. I think Stash makes a good chai too. I just use the pot method but usually let it steep for about 10 minutes because I really like the spice/cinnamon flavor.

I don't have a teapot either so Ive just been boiling or near boiling water and the pouring it over the tea bags. I usually use a few because I boil about 16 or so ounces. Then while it is still warm I add a spoonful of honey and stir and hen I put it in he fridge to cool. Sometimes I add another 16 ounces of cold water because that's what the directions say. I let it steep around 6 minutes.

What kind of tea?

Iarwain
02-16-2011, 09:13 PM
When I do two quarts at a time I'll use two black or green tea bags and two fruit flavor to sweeten it up and make it interesting. The Celestial Seasonings peach is quite yummy. Often it is good without any extra sweetener that way, or at least you can use less. When making iced tea I bring the water to a full boil and let it steep a good long time - like half an hour or more. Sometimes I forget it on the counter until it has cooled. You get more flavor from fewer tea bags that way. I don't add extra water after steeping.

Mother of Sons
02-16-2011, 09:23 PM
What kind of tea?

I'm not sure on brands but I've tried

Wellness ecchineacea
Pink grapefruit lemonade (or some such)
Pomegranate
Pomegranate acai
Ginger peach
Another kind of peach
Wild berry zinger
Raspberry zinger (easiest to drink so far)
Honeysuckle chrysanthemum. That was from the Chinese store and it was crystals so I sont think it's really "tea"

I wouldn't mind steeping longer but I thought I read somewhere that it made the tea bitter.

cheri
02-16-2011, 09:46 PM
When I make tea, I stick the tea bags in a pot with cold water (doesn't matter how much- maybe a couple of cups) and bring it to a boil with the bag in it. I pull it off of the heat as soon as it boils, let it sit in the water for a minute or so, and then pull the bags out of the pot without squeezing them. If I'm adding sugar, that's when I stir it in. Then I have a pitcher of ice ready and I pour the hot tea over the ice. Then I fill up the rest of the pitcher with cold water to taste. It's trial and error to figure out how strong you like it.

And that's it. I've never had it come out bitter or gross. I've played around with sweetener and strength, but when I make it this way, I usually get a lot of compliments on how good it tastes.

FaithHopeLove
02-16-2011, 10:11 PM
I looooooove tea.

My two standards are good old lipton and Stash Organic Black and Green Tea Chai. I like my tea with milk and honey, but I also use stevia sometimes.

Lately I've been mixing lipton with Trader Joe's White Pomegranate Tea (plus milk & honey) and it tastes reminiscent of a white chocolate raspberry mocha to me.

Republic of Tea makes some great teas. My sister loves their Ginger Peach (she drinks it iced) and I love the Cinnamon Cardamom http://www.republicoftea.com/Cardamom-Cinnamon-Full-Leaf/p/V00667/ but I haven't had it for a long time because it's spendy.

I'm not sure what the latest info is on sun tea, but last I heard one shouldn't use that method because of potential salmonella?

Have you tried one of the samplers to check out different flavors and see what you like?

mountainash
02-16-2011, 10:55 PM
The Good Earth Lemongrass tea is wonderfully smooth and the antioxidants combined with the antiviral properties of lemongrass are an extra bonus.

Iarwain
02-17-2011, 12:08 AM
It only comes out bitter if you're using straight black tea. When you use a higher water:tea bag ratio (like 4 bags in 2 qts of water - one tea bag per 16 oz.) it isn't a problem even then IME. Now if you're doing straight green tea and steep too long it may taste like grass.

Amahoro
02-17-2011, 12:21 AM
My favourite tea is Rooibos tea from South Africa. It's a red tea and is also caffeine-free, which I think is great. I can drink it straight; but there are also some lovely blends of green/vanilla with Rooibos; as well as a Rooibos fireside, which has a few more 'warm' spices.

For summer I like Turkish Apple (it's like sugar crystals - great with apple and lemon slices); and I also like a cold tea of ginger, peppermint and apple.

Peppermint tea is also really nice for a lovely morning pick me up.

FaithHopeLove
02-18-2011, 01:14 AM
Today I tried milk, honey, lipton tea, and Stash Raspberry tea (not raspberry leaf) -- YUM . . . :P~ (that's slurping)

Very reminiscent of the white chocolate raspberry mochas I love (called Cupid's Kiss) and have been trying to avoid drinking.

inesperada
02-18-2011, 06:28 AM
:heart Yerba Mate :heart

If you get good stuff, it's hands down the best tea in the world.

I drink a lot of other teas - black tea with cinnamon is wonderful, and I drink things like chamomile and anise for health purposes.

3boysforme
02-19-2011, 05:56 PM
I looooooove tea.

My two standards are good old lipton and Stash Organic Black and Green Tea Chai. I like my tea with milk and honey, but I also use stevia sometimes.

Lately I've been mixing lipton with Trader Joe's White Pomegranate Tea (plus milk & honey) and it tastes reminiscent of a white chocolate raspberry mocha to me.

Republic of Tea makes some great teas. My sister loves their Ginger Peach (she drinks it iced) and I love the Cinnamon Cardamom http://www.republicoftea.com/Cardamom-Cinnamon-Full-Leaf/p/V00667/ but I haven't had it for a long time because it's spendy.

I'm not sure what the latest info is on sun tea, but last I heard one shouldn't use that method because of potential salmonella?

Have you tried one of the samplers to check out different flavors and see what you like?

FHL, I bought and tried the Stash Green Chai tea and it is fabulous! I am in love. It was good hot, but I also made some with a little honey and chilled it. So, So, Good!!

FaithHopeLove
02-20-2011, 03:10 AM
FHL, I bought and tried the Stash Green Chai tea and it is fabulous! I am in love. It was good hot, but I also made some with a little honey and chilled it. So, So, Good!!

:rockon

Glad you liked it. That's good to hear it's good chilled too since MOS doesn't like hot tea.

DC drinks the decaf Stash chai (it's black tea though, no green), maybe your boys would like some too!