PDA

View Full Version : homemade queso?

backtobasicsmum
02-15-2011, 12:22 PM
I am loving queso these days. But, it is from a jar and is full of long unpronoucable things. :giggle Does anyone have a recipe for making their own?

Turtle Herder
02-15-2011, 12:31 PM
I am loving queso these days. But, it is from a jar and is full of long unpronoucable things. :giggle Does anyone have a recipe for making their own?

:popcorn :giggle

TuneMyHeart
02-15-2011, 12:35 PM
I can't find any in a jar that I like. what kind are you buying? :shifty

I've eaten my fair share of cheese dip from our favorite mexican restaurant. :bag

backtobasicsmum
02-15-2011, 12:41 PM
Aw, man..I saw you replied and thought for sure you had an awesome recipe for me! :giggle

I'm buying a store brand from a chain up in Canada...so no help there. :sorry

And no mexican restaurants here either. :pout

Waterlogged
02-15-2011, 12:41 PM
We made queso all.the.time in TX. it's a party staple there.

1 large thing of Velveeta
2 cans diced tomatoes/green chilis, drain
plus whatever else you want to add - chopped onion, sausage, pico de gallo
plus some grated sharp cheddar, if you want

Put velveeta in a sauce pan, add drained tomatoes, and heat over low-medium. Stir to mix.

Mama Calidad
02-15-2011, 12:48 PM
We get ours from a farmer. Fresh raw cows' milk cheese. I have no clue how to make cheese myself, but I figure that's just close enough to homemade for me. :shifty

charla
02-15-2011, 12:51 PM
:cup

backtobasicsmum
02-15-2011, 12:54 PM
:P~ Laura! I bet we couldn't ship *that* across the border!

Rosanne, if I was living state side I'd do that (though Velveeta has some questionable stuff too...) but here in Canada is it sooo different and I cannot tolerate it. Bummer.

Mama Calidad
02-15-2011, 01:00 PM
They have huge warnings about how you might die of gastrointestinal illness. Raw milk is bad business, but Mexican raw milk is just asking for death. :shifty :giggle

This is the queso that you get in restaurants here. (Never had it actually flaming.)
http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/2010/01/queso-flameado-recipe.html

Barefoot Bookworm
02-15-2011, 01:03 PM
Oh, YUMMY! QUESO! Why didn't I think of eating queso? Er, sorry, no recipe.

backtobasicsmum
02-15-2011, 01:03 PM
Mmmm! That looks sooo good Laura! But I can't get any of those thing locally. Imagine that! :giggle

I've got a friend on facebook that says she has a recipe....I'm waiting to see if she'll produce or not. :giggle So is Shannon. If she does, I'll share!

Mama Calidad
02-15-2011, 01:06 PM
Can you get Muenster? A Muenster/Gouda combo would be yum. :yum

backtobasicsmum
02-15-2011, 01:07 PM
In the city. I won't be there again until the 28th. :pout

Mama Calidad
02-15-2011, 01:09 PM
O Canada, indeed. :hugheart

(Sorry, I'm totally stressed out at the moment and it makes me loony...er.)

TuneMyHeart
02-15-2011, 01:13 PM
They have huge warnings about how you might die of gastrointestinal illness. Raw milk is bad business, but Mexican raw milk is just asking for death. :shifty :giggle

This is the queso that you get in restaurants here. (Never had it actually flaming.)
http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/2010/01/queso-flameado-recipe.html

what is asadero cheese and where do you get chorizo? :banghead

backtobasicsmum
02-15-2011, 01:13 PM
You are wonderful, even loony. :hug

And...my friend shared a recipe! It looks good!

from the best of bridge.
1 small onion- finely chopped
‎2 tsp butter
1 cup canned tomatoes chopped and drained
1 can pickled green chilies chopped (I think you could just do 1 cup of your favourite salsa instead of the tomatoes and chilies)
1 tsp basil
salt and pepper to taste
...1/2 pound monterey jack cheese cubed (shredded would work better I think)
1 cup cream

saute onion in butter until transparent. Add tomatoes, basil, salt, and pepper. Simmer 15 minutes. Add cubed cheese (slowly, it should be room temperature to combine the best) and as it melts stir in cream (cream needs... to be room temp to work best). Cook until blended and very smooth.
serve hot from chafing dish or as a hot dip (or in your crock pot).
Personally I think old cheddar would be a better cheese because it would be a stronger flavour.

I'm going to ask dh to bring home cream on his way home from work tonight...I've got everything else!

Mama Calidad
02-15-2011, 01:17 PM
what is asadero cheese and where do you get chorizo? :banghead

Queso Oaxaca or Quesillo Oaxaca (or adadero) is a white, semi-hard cheese from Mexico, similar to unaged Monterey Jack but with a mozzarella-like string cheese texture.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oaxaca_cheese

Just mix up some mozzarella and some Monterrey Jack and call it good. :shrug3 Chorizo would be in the grocery store next to the breakfast sausage. At least that's where it is in my grocery store. :giggle

doubleblessings
02-15-2011, 03:32 PM
I have seen asadero at Kroger I think. I haven't been able to make it as smooth as the dip at the Mexican restaurants here. Velveeta is very different from what we get here, but it was similar to what I got in Texas growing up. I prefer the white dip here. I have found one that is in the cold section near the cheese in a plastic container that is close. Can't think of the brand, but I will look next time and try to remember.

I have used the Velveeta pepper jack and it isn't too bad.

Aerynne
02-15-2011, 03:52 PM
Mine recipe is gfcf, so I don't know if you want it. :shifty

Google brought me this:

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/queso-dip/Detail.aspx

backtobasicsmum
02-15-2011, 03:54 PM
That looks good and easy too! :yes

Why don't you add your gfcf recipe as well...there might be some other mama's reading that would need it. :heart

Aerynne
02-15-2011, 04:02 PM
1 c. raw, unsalted cashews
2 tbsp cornstarch
3 c. water
1 tsp salt (or more to taste)

Blend in a blender.I use my blendtec's soup setting. If you don't have a high-end blender, run the stuff through a coffee filter before heating. Heat over medium heat until it thickens (less than five minutes). This is basic "yum sauce" (seriously- that's what we call it- as in "mom, can we have mac and yum tonight?" )and is used as cream sauces or cheese sauces are used.

You can add all kinds of stuff to make it queso- salsa, tomatoes, minced hot cherry peppers, green chiles, hot sauce, diced tomatoes, etc.

It's totally white. A few cubes of pureed sweet potato will make it a bit more orange, though.

expatmom
02-15-2011, 07:28 PM
I :heart the Best of Bridge

And real Mexican food.

---------- Post added at 10:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 AM ----------

And the blog Mama Calidad posted. :heart

Tell me about guajillos. I'm assuming they are some sort of dried pepper. What do they look like & is there anything else I can substitute. I'm reading about making my own chorizo sausage, which I've never been able to find here and it is making me excited.

Mama Calidad
02-16-2011, 06:35 AM
Tell me about guajillos. I'm assuming they are some sort of dried pepper.

Yeah, it's a dried red pepper. Jose thinks each variety of pepper has it's own correct use and nothing can substitute. We've got more varieties of dried red peppers in our pantry. :sigh I'd just pick a dried red pepper that you like and go with it personally. I substitute at will. :snooty

Edit to add pic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guajillo_chili

MomtoJGJ
02-16-2011, 06:45 AM
here's my lack of knowledge kicking in.... could you not just melt your favorite type of cheese with cream of some type of soup and add in rotel?

expatmom
02-16-2011, 07:51 AM
Well, peppers like that don't exist here. We have a whole different assortment of dried peppers that will burn your mouth off, but they tend to be smaller sized.

I am totally captivated by that blog though. I've wasted a lot of time on it today. :giggle