PDA

View Full Version : What Are You Having for Valentine's Day Dinner?

RealLifeMama
02-13-2011, 09:14 PM
I am at a loss of what to make for dinner for Valentine's Day.

Usually, I try to make a theme meal, and use a lot of red. But, we have already been eating a lot of pasta w/ red sauce, we had lasagna last week, and Dh does not like chili. We eat pizza all the time, so heart shaped pizza does not sound fun.

I'd like to make something really yummy that we might not eat often (or ever). I have no idea, though.

Inspire me!

Teribear
02-13-2011, 09:17 PM
We're having fondue tomorrow night. :)

mum2abby
02-13-2011, 09:19 PM
Italian Shells with Mozzarella Roasted Red Pepper & Spinach....along with roasted cauliflower and oreo brownies for dessert.

The Tickle Momster
02-13-2011, 09:53 PM
starving student chicken. It's from a cookbook dh gave me for our first christmas. super easy and yummy.

OneSillyMommy
02-13-2011, 10:01 PM
Steak, salad, new potatoes n peas and peanut butter pie. Can't wait!

Aerynne
02-13-2011, 10:41 PM
we always have pancakes w/ strawberry sauce (we is all of us, incl kids, and we eat it by candlelight)

Waterlogged
02-13-2011, 10:53 PM
:popcorn for ideas....can't do steak (our original plan) b/c we had it tonight at my birthday dinner...

RealLifeMama
02-14-2011, 05:43 AM
starving student chicken. It's from a cookbook dh gave me for our first christmas. super easy and yummy.

Is that the Starving Student Cookbook, by chance? I used to have that.

Mommainrwanda
02-14-2011, 05:52 AM
This is the plan:

Roasted Pumpkin Soup in bread bowls
Steamed carrots
Green Beans

Bailey's/Banana Chocolate "ice cream"

Singingmom
02-14-2011, 07:32 AM
Heart shaped meatloaf? With a big ketchup heart on top?

ncsweetpea
02-14-2011, 07:46 AM
We're having the heart shaped pizzas. I have the stuff on hand...and hubby and dd will like it. I would prefer a shrimp cocktail alongside a Dr. Pepper (my weird pregnancy craving this time). I can't decide if we will do a special dessert. My dd had two birthday parties and a Valentine's party at church last night...so her little system has had a lot more sugar than normal lately.

However, I might just try to figure out a gluten free chocolate lava cake for dh and me...

You could do:
-heart shaped French toast (that's was breakfast this morning), bacon, sausage, etc...breakfast for dinner...
-spaghetti and meatballs (alongside Lady and the Tramp...awww...)
-heart shaped grilled cheese and tomato soup with some yummy toppings

RealLifeMama
02-14-2011, 08:24 AM
Breakfast for dinner sounds fun, and I love french toast.
I'd love to make this!
http://annies-eats.net/2011/02/08/strawberry-stuffed-french-toast/
We would not have a dessert then, so that would save time, too.

Everyone would love the heart shaped Meatloaf, too. But We are out of potatoes and this month's produce does not come until tomorrow. My family would think it sacreligious to have meatloaf without mashed potatoes. :giggle

The Tickle Momster
02-14-2011, 08:27 AM
It's actually from the Chicken Soup for the Soul cookbook. It has some good recipes but it's really hard to look things up.

Beauty4Ashes
02-14-2011, 08:29 AM
I'm thinking of doing either calzone or pasta with garlic buttery shrimp, some salad, and a chocolate marble cheesecake.

TuneMyHeart
02-14-2011, 08:32 AM
if I can talk myself into it, I'm going to make cheese tortellini with homemade alfredo sauce, heart-shaped garlic rolls, and green beans.

but more than likely, it won't happen. :giggle

Cat
02-14-2011, 08:33 AM
baked ziti (i would have made manicotti but i dont have enough tofu)

jelly donut cake

Ajani
02-14-2011, 08:35 AM
What am I having? Dristan and Advil. Or perhaps I can talk hubby into buying me some NeoCitran. I can have that with a little rum if I'm feeling festive.

Being sick sucks.

ncsweetpea
02-14-2011, 08:58 AM
baked ziti (i would have made manicotti but i dont have enough tofu)

jelly donut cake

What is Jelly Donut Cake?

Mama4ever
02-14-2011, 08:59 AM
Manicotti and salad, I forgot to buy french bread so I should make some, but that might not happen today.
Brownies with homemade whipped cream served in wine glasses. I've done this for several years and the kids love it.:D

Cat
02-14-2011, 09:55 AM
What is Jelly Donut Cake?

it is a recipe from veganomicon for cupcakes but i dont have cupcake liners etc so i made it as a cake. a cake recipe, with grape jelly in the middle and powdered sugar on top.

JustMandy
02-14-2011, 10:11 AM
I'm making jumbalia...that says I love you, right?

Heart shaped meatloaf? With a big ketchup heart on top?

Dd suggested this to me several times. :giggle

Breakfast for dinner sounds fun, and I love french toast.
I'd love to make this!
http://annies-eats.net/2011/02/08/strawberry-stuffed-french-toast/
We would not have a dessert then, so that would save time, too.

Everyone would love the heart shaped Meatloaf, too. But We are out of potatoes and this month's produce does not come until tomorrow. My family would think it sacreligious to have meatloaf without mashed potatoes. :giggle

Breakfast for dinner is a regular @ my house. We call it Brinner. And, my family would have a total :hissyfit if I tried to serve meatloaf with anything but mashed potatoes. :P~

it is a recipe from veganomicon for cupcakes but i dont have cupcake liners etc so i made it as a cake. a cake recipe, with grape jelly in the middle and powdered sugar on top.

:jawdrop Y.U.M. :yum Must look this up!!!

swimming with sharks
02-14-2011, 10:15 AM
I was planning on making imperial chicken....
chicken dredged in flour, cooked with a heavy cream, onion, and mushroom sauce served over noodles :yum It's heavy but YUMMY!

but dh suggested that he go get Sushi so I'm taking him up on it. :rockon :tu :heart I'll make Imperial chicken on Wed ;)

pastelsummer
02-14-2011, 10:16 AM
I am making a cold pasta salad. penne pasta tomatoes, cucmbers, olives, onions, and maybe something else dunno yet all mixed together with a raspberry vinagrette. and icream for dessert

Apple-Saucy
02-14-2011, 10:20 AM
cube steak w/ mushrooms mashed potatoes and gravy and a vegetable of some sort

cbmk4
02-14-2011, 10:22 AM
taco salad, corn cake, angel food cake with strawberries and whipped cream!

RealLifeMama
02-14-2011, 10:45 AM
I decided on Chicken Marsala. But I don't know what to serve it with. Produce Co-op day is tomorrow, and so we are low on everything. I am going to have to suck it up and go pay grocery store prices. Any suggestions of what to serve with it? Not pasta.
Roasted potatoes would be good, but I just do not think I can bring myself to pay for potatoes at the store, even for a special occasion. Oh, I so want potatoes!

Singingmom
02-14-2011, 10:50 AM
Splurge on potatoes as your Valentine's Day gift to yourself. :sillygrin

3PeasInAPod
02-14-2011, 10:53 AM
I'm making Dh's favorite dish that before tonight, he's only had it in resturaunts.... Chicken Fried Steak (Pioneer woman style)

TuneMyHeart
02-14-2011, 10:59 AM
this thread is making me want pioneer woman meatloaf and mashed potatoes. but no way am I up for that much work! :P~

Serendipity
02-14-2011, 11:14 AM
I'm not making our fancy vday meal until friday when my mom comes up. But I'm going to make heart shape cheese filled raviolis served with pink alfredo sauce, grilled chicken, and roasted asparagus. Dessert will be dark chocolate dipped strawberries.

For breakfast today we had heart shaped ww toast with strawberry jelly.
Posted via Mobile Device

ncsweetpea
02-14-2011, 12:10 PM
I decided on Chicken Marsala. But I don't know what to serve it with. Produce Co-op day is tomorrow, and so we are low on everything. I am going to have to suck it up and go pay grocery store prices. Any suggestions of what to serve with it? Not pasta.
Roasted potatoes would be good, but I just do not think I can bring myself to pay for potatoes at the store, even for a special occasion. Oh, I so want potatoes!

Yum! If you make it GF, I'll bring the taters ! ;)

Glad you made a decision!