PDA

View Full Version : What kind of dog is this?

Littledisciples
02-06-2011, 09:08 AM
Found this dog last night by a restraunt. It is so friendly and loves kids very good natured dog. Not even agressive at all with my other dogs. I am trying to find the owner of it. I normaly don't do that but she is so cute and friendly and a really good dog. I couldn't leave it their to get ran over. She stayed in a crate all night and did not bark or anything very mellow dog. She doesn't seem to be quite housetrained but not sure if it is the enviroment she tried to pee on the floor. I been taking her out side to potty she goes fine. :shrug3 She wags her tail and gets a little prance and walks up to the kids to get petted and lays on her tummy for them to pet her more. No tags on her. She doesn't appear to be spayed and She is half the size of my CC dog. I think it is a puppy maybe 6 months or so.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a313/Littledisciples/stray006.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a313/Littledisciples/stray004.jpg

SouthPaw
02-06-2011, 09:10 AM
that's a baby Pit Bull or Staffordshire Terrier :) It's hard to tell the difference, but Staffies tend to be more rare. She is adorable!

Staffie pup

http://puppydogweb.com/gallery/americanstaffordshireterriers/americanstaffordshireterrier_jana.jpg

Pittie pup

http://i.oodleimg.com/item/2373783816u_0x_dogs_in_charlotte_nc/?1294955926

justarib
02-06-2011, 09:12 AM
Aw, she's really cute!
She looks part pit bull but I'm not a dog expert.

I like her :yes

mamacat
02-06-2011, 09:14 AM
My dd knows a lot about dogs and is guessing a boxer mix or American Bull dog mix.she is so cute! Where do you live?My middle dd has an American bull dog mix and would love her!

Littledisciples
02-06-2011, 09:17 AM
My dd knows a lot about dogs and is guessing a boxer mix or American Bull dog mix.she is so cute! Where do you live?My middle dd has an American bull dog mix and would love her!

Idaho- You want her I will hold her for her to come get her.

Charlie U
02-06-2011, 09:23 AM
She is cute. :) I'd take her to the vet on Monday and have her checked for a microchip.

She looks a lot like a pit bull. I was looking into them before deciding they weren't a good fit for our family.

believer
02-06-2011, 09:27 AM
she is very cute! you should take her and have her scanned to see if she is microchipped and check with your local animal shelter to see if she is listed as missing by anyone.

houseforjoy
02-06-2011, 09:58 AM
i am way :paranoid about saying this :shifty but maybe since you just lost a dog this one is being given to you?? i would still check it out at the vet to see if she is chipped or listed, but are you thinking of keeping her at all?

Littledisciples
02-06-2011, 10:29 AM
The ironic thing is that we where going to go to petsmart after we ate to see about getting a puppy. And this dog was here. I don't know maybe I will keep her. I found a breed that describes her exactly I think she is a old boston bulldog and I found a dog on You tube that is this breed it acts just like her.

http://www.bulldoginformation.com/Old-boston-bulldog.html

SouthPaw
02-06-2011, 10:33 AM
are her ears cropped or do they naturally look like that?

that's a really cool dog breed that I didn't know about... BUT! ;) Usually random strays people find aren't the rare special breed that may or may not look just like them. They tend to be one of the more common breeds. This is just from quite a few years working with rescues/shelters. :hug She's likely just a little pittie pup.

CrunchySeaSalt
02-06-2011, 10:38 AM
boxer pitbull if I had to guess

Apple-Saucy
02-06-2011, 10:43 AM
My first guess is boxer...possibly a bully mix.

blessedwithboys
02-06-2011, 11:15 AM
It's a pit bull puppy. What a cutie! :) The likelihood of it being a Staffie or an Old Boston Bulldog are really really slim.

Apple-Saucy
02-06-2011, 11:25 AM
When you take her to the vet tomorrow to check for a microchip they should be able to tell you what she is.

If she doesn't have a chip you should either turn her over to the humane society with the understanding that if the owners are not found within a certain number of days you would like to adopt her. OR Run an ad in the paper saying exactly where she was found.

PrincessAnika
02-06-2011, 08:42 PM
If she doesn't have a chip you should either turn her over to the humane society with the understanding that if the owners are not found within a certain number of days you would like to adopt her. OR Run an ad in the paper saying exactly where she was found.

you don't have to turn the dog over to advise them of a dog found - we found a golden once, and called them to see if anyone had reported a missing dog, told them about the dog and where we found it and gave them our number, they said they would call us if anyone called about a dog matching the description we gave them of the one we found. they were glad to let us hold onto him for a few hrs to see if we could find the owner (development, we walked around and knocked on doors. did find the owner fortunately) since they were so full.

to answer your question looks like a pit or pit mix to me - dh aunt has 2 pit/labs and the face is similar. i would agree she is still puppy - not sure though how close to 6mos, would depend on what she is mixed with. adorable!!:heart

Mother of Sons
02-06-2011, 10:05 PM
It looks like a boxer to me.

Charlie U
02-06-2011, 10:15 PM
The ironic thing is that we where going to go to petsmart after we ate to see about getting a puppy. And this dog was here. I don't know maybe I will keep her. I found a breed that describes her exactly I think she is a old boston bulldog and I found a dog on You tube that is this breed it acts just like her.

http://www.bulldoginformation.com/Old-boston-bulldog.html

Please, please, PLEASE do NOT keep this dog without making an effort to find her owner. Perhaps she was abandoned. Perhaps not. Her tags may have fallen off. My old dog had a bad habit of running away when she got older. She did lose her tags at one point.

:hugheart You're being kind to her by keeping her warm and fed and safe.

Littledisciples
02-06-2011, 10:51 PM
I talked to my friend at the humane society. She is going their tommorow morning. That is much better place then our local pound. She then can be adopted by a good home and they wait for a few days to see if the owner shows up. I can't keep her I have dogs I am committed too and I don't want another puppy right now. I am glad she is going to a nice safe place.

Amber
02-06-2011, 10:52 PM
are her ears cropped or do they naturally look like that?

that's a really cool dog breed that I didn't know about... BUT! ;) Usually random strays people find aren't the rare special breed that may or may not look just like them. They tend to be one of the more common breeds. This is just from quite a few years working with rescues/shelters. :hug She's likely just a little pittie pup.
:yes

Apple-Saucy
02-07-2011, 06:37 AM
you don't have to turn the dog over to advise them of a dog found -

I'm guessing it depends on your area...where I am from you were required to turn it over so it could be checked by their vet and given a clean bill of health and of course vaccinated before you could take it back home.

SouthPaw
02-07-2011, 06:59 AM
Boxers don't come in black :D

mamacat
02-07-2011, 07:04 AM
could be a boxer mix tho - we had our boxer lab mix mate with a full blooded boxer and pups looked like boxers and some were black & white

Apple-Saucy
02-07-2011, 07:09 AM
Boxers don't come in black :D

Yeah they do, it's just not an accepted breed standard ;)

AnotherNamedKate
02-07-2011, 10:35 AM
I'd guess a pit/boxer mix. :shrug3 The head is kind of a pit bull shape (especially the ears), but the rest of it, including the color pattern, is more boxer. It's hard to tell in puppies though.

JessicaTX
02-07-2011, 10:47 AM
Boston terrier mix maybe?

Johns_Gal
02-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Apart from that crop job she looks very well cared for. :( I hope if someone is looking for her they find her.

Littledisciples
02-07-2011, 04:46 PM
I spoke the police officer the night I found her. According to our law if you find a dog and take it home it is yours, period. I didn't know that. Well he said I could talk to our local animal shelter and see if they would take it with out charging me $60 dollars. It costs $5 to adopt here. :( Really bad animal shelter they dump the dogs in and leave them and are only open Sat from 1-2pm and the rest the week you call because they are rarely even their. However I thought about it a lot and decided to talk to my friend who runs the Humane Society and she took her this morning. Which is great now they wait for the owner to claim her. If not then she gets spayed, shots and vet checks and adopted to a nice home. Untell she is adopted they walk the dogs daily, spend time with them and somone is constantly their. :) I am so glad she is their because she has a chance if I can't find the owners. I did leave my phone number at the restraunt if anyone is looking for her they will find out where she is. I figure if anything else she at least got into a safer shelter.

Rabbit
02-07-2011, 04:55 PM
IME, police do not always know as much about the law as you would think. They are enforcers with a very narrow scope, not lawyers. Just go with the shelter's information, not a random cop.

In TN, if you feed a stray, you are legally responsible for what it does in your neighborhood, but are not considered the owner when it comes to dropping it off the next day at a shelter.

Littledisciples
02-07-2011, 05:00 PM
IME, police do not always know as much about the law as you would think. They are enforcers with a very narrow scope, not lawyers. Just go with the shelter's information, not a random cop.

In TN, if you feed a stray, you are legally responsible for what it does in your neighborhood, but are not considered the owner when it comes to dropping it off the next day at a shelter.

In my town the Police are the Shelter People. They all have keys to dump the dogs in their. It is a very small place about the size of our garage. They got about 4 kennels lined up on each side. They uthanize the dogs that don't get a home to make room for more. 14 got uthanized Sunday alone. :( It is the only shelter in our town. HS is in the next town over.

Rabbit
02-07-2011, 05:01 PM
Bah. Our city has a shelter of that quality, and they wound up in federal trouble.

Cherish
02-07-2011, 05:23 PM
What a cutie!! I hope she ends up in a happy home!

Littledisciples
02-07-2011, 06:38 PM
DH called from work and he said the HS Expert in breeds knows what kind of dog she is. She is a boston terrier and bassett hound mix. Her ears where cropped to make her appear to be a pit bull. They said that dog will be adopted right away before any other dog in their LOL. I didn't get to hear the story of him dropping her off tell just now. But apparently when you walk in they have cats their just walking around. She just sat down next to a cat. She did not even go near my cat either. I thought her bark sounded like a hound dog. :giggle But they where impressed with her. I am glad someone will get a great dog. I kinda felt bad that I didn't keep her but now I know why I was chosen to find her and take her on. If the owners don't show up she will totaly get a good home.