PDA

View Full Version : Is this safe to eat?

3boysforme
02-06-2011, 08:58 AM
I left a whole pot of Spanish rice out on the stove (covered) last night. When I woke up this morning and found it, the pot was cool.

Is this safe to eat today? I don't have anymore rice to cook more.

justarib
02-06-2011, 09:09 AM
lol- My mom used to cook rice in the rice cooker for lunch about every other day and we would all just eat it the next day. I've never gotten sick from it but you can tell when rice goes bad because it'll smell funny and be mushy- it goes sour/sweet, it takes at least 2 days before that happens but I'm not sure how climate/humidity can effect the spoiling process.

I'm not so sure about spanish rice, is butter and other things added to that? I always ate my rice plain(Filipino descent).

Annainprogress
02-06-2011, 09:19 AM
My understanding is that rice is one of the more common food poisoning foods, so it's one if the few foods I'm extra careful of (freeze or fridge almost straight away or bin). If you do eat it then make sure it is heated to piping hot for a few minutes to kill any bugs lurking

abbiroads
02-06-2011, 09:47 AM
I would reheat it and eat it unless the house was really warm or humid.

Allison
02-06-2011, 09:50 AM
Reheat and eat.

Earthmummy07
02-06-2011, 10:07 AM
I was reading something about reheating rice not preventing food poisoning because it is the toxin the bacteria produces that is dangerous, not the actual bacteria itself. Boiling/reheating kills the bacteria but doesnt breakdown the toxins, so you can still get sick.

I think it was on the tv actually. But the lengths that manufacturers have to go to to make safe reheatable rice products are quite extreme

Rice is one thing I will not eat as leftovers the next day or reheat

Proverbs31
02-06-2011, 10:17 AM
Other than here, I'd never heard of rice being particularly at risk for food poisoning.

But a quick google turned up
http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/asksam/keepingfoodsafe/asksamcooking/

Basically what Teenageearthmummy07 said about toxins.

I'd toss it. If anything's outside of food safety guidelines, better safe than sorry. Doubly so if you're feeding it to kids.

CrunchySeaSalt
02-06-2011, 10:49 AM
Wow I never knew rice went bad like that. Thanks ladies!:shrug3:rockon

Mama2MeadowRose
02-06-2011, 10:51 AM
I'd say if there wasn't any meat/milk in it, it's fine! Also to be safe, maybe put it in the oven to heat it up.

3boysforme
02-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Well, the rice was fried in olive oil and has chicken broth and tomato sauce in it. I'll probably toss it then. I have never heard that rice could go bad like that.

Ok so what other side could I make to go with enchiladas??

Proverbs31
02-06-2011, 12:25 PM
:think I don't usually serve any sides with enchiladas. Salad maybe? That would be a good texture and temperature contrast.